• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CraftHer
    The Guild President
    • Feb 2015

Night Owl - Feeling Better

I posted a night owl thread back on 1/23/16 called "Night Owl Feeling Old". http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gen...eling-old.html

In that post, I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and feeling pretty down. So many of you replied and was so encouraging I thought I'd post an update.

I'm feeling better. Still trying to figure out what to eat and get my blood glucose under control. I realize I have to count carbs per meal instead of carbs per day. Less carbs in the morning. I joined MyFitnessPal as some of you recommended and it's been a big help. I've lost 7# in 3 weeks which is slightly above average. Not bad.

Also, unlike my previous post, we're buried in snow. I was hoping to go see my sister tomorrow since it's a holiday, but with 3-4" of new snow and freezing rain predicted, we're not going. So, more time to quilt!

I appreciated the encouraging replies. I also wish to encourage anyone else on the journey to being fit and healthy. We can do it!

I hope everyone is warm, safe and dry.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!
  • Judy, USMC
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: Night Owl - Feeling Better

Glad you're on your way to better health! My DH is diabetic and still struggles with his diet. Got to direct him to MyFitnessPal. Glad to get a personal recommendation.

We're due to get 0.02 inch accumulation of freezing rain overnight. Not much but with the amount of roads that run through pine tree forests the school buses need to take it slow. Good thing President's Day has most schools closed but private schools will be on a 2-hour delay - as will some businesses.

I'm staying warm and indoors until it gets above freezing tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

• stationarymom
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2013

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better.At least now you know that your not old but you have a condition which can be reversed by doing the right things,I wish you lots of luck figuring out what's right for your body.
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• MayinJerset
        Missouri Star
        • May 2012

Happy to hear you are feeling better and learning to control your health problem. I don't have diabetes but doc suggested I watch my carbs so I know it isn't easy to give up those comforting carbs especially toast with my morning coffee.

Don't see any other Night Owls around, all must be wrapped in several quilts trying to keep warm during this freezing weather, all I can say is
        cold outside.jpg
        Last edited by MayinJerset; February 14, 2016, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Neller
          Batting Beauty
          • Jan 2015

I'm glad you are feeling better May. I have type II Diabetes too and know I need to start being more active. The weather currently is a lot more cooperative in eastern Washington so I should get out and walk.

No sewing today or yesterday. Friday I was sewing and all of a sudden the needle came unthreaded. I guess the thread broke. I have tried and tried to get it re-threaded but the threader isn't working and I can't see detail well enough to thread the stupid needle myself so tomorrow I'll be going to the one Baby Lock dealer in my area, which is about 30 miles away to see if they can figure out what is wrong. It's so irritating as I am very close to being done sewing my quilt top together and I want to get started on the scrappy border I am planning.

I did a little knitting and went to the yarn shop to get yarn to make a baby blanket for my son's best friend who is expecting a baby next year, so the day wasn't a total loss.

Stay warm all you night owls in the east. I hope it warms up for you SOON!
          Nancy

Comment

• kimsophia
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2014

I got my lap size Floating Hexagons quilt top done today. I had to squeeze some sashing and cornerstones but overall, if you aren't looking for mistakes, it is pretty. The fabric is very cheery. I got my batting and backing cut and am basting them together tonight. I'm only going to tie this, so no quilting to endure. This batting is a few inches thick. It must be for a comforter. I'm sure it will be warm for sitting in front of the TV.

We only got three inches of the fluffy kind snow. DH went out driving this morning and said it was quite slippery and the roads weren't plowed so they were full of slush. I stayed home and sewed. Hoot hoot to all you owls!

Comment

• gshannon1008
              Designer Diva
              • Oct 2015

Glad to hear you are feeling better. It is a process to get all pieces together. Sounds like you are on the right path. Keep it up and keep moving.

Comment

• Midge
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2014

Somehow I missed your original post sharing your diagnosis. It sounds like you are doing the right things, so take heart! My fitness pal is the best, isn't it? I've been using it too because my blood sugar was trending up. I have lost most of the weight I gained since my retirement and my dear friend died, but it has been a struggle. I have exactly 10 pounds left to lose to be back where I was before all this began. Right now for us in Ohio the weather isn't cooperating, but walking is the best thing you can do for yourself on a daily basis.

Comment

• MaryUK
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2016

Hi, 3 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and the same week found out it have arthritis in both hips and hands. To say I was bowled over was an understatement! I used myfitnesspal and started swimming and watching my diet. I lost 63 pounds and reduced my sugar levels dramatically! It can be done but I took a day at a time. All the best with your health challenge.
                  I have to say the over the year have put quite a bit back on following some family crises - am definitely a comfort eater. Hope to return to the straight and narrow next week.

Comment

Working...
                  X