Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Needle turn applique on dark background

Hello all,
    I am about to start an applique quilt with a black background. I needle turn, so I normally trace the pattern on my background fabric using a lightbox with a lead pencil, this way I can easily erase/wash away pencil marks that are not covered. With a black background I need another method to marking the background. I do also make a clear plastic overlay, but I really want the pattern on the background. Ty

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Needle turn applique on dark background

I use the simple silver pencil you can find at Wal-Mart. Shows up very well and always washes out. Been using it for 30 years.

3. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Shirley, is the silver pencil something one finds in the sewing department, or in the stationery department?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bohin, Fons and Porter and Sewline make mechanical pencils with white ceramic 'leads' as well as other colors. They have erasers and wash out as well. General makes chalk pencils that you sharpen.

6. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Shirley thank you, I will pick that up. Does it stay on long, or do you feel you have to re-apply? Now, how do you trace the pattern. Obviously I can't use a light box as the black background is too dark to see through.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sticking my nose in here. Can you cut pieces out of your pattern somehow and just lay that down on your background on the table and trace around them using your new pencil?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

9. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    Shirley, is the silver pencil something one finds in the sewing department, or in the stationery department?
    It is in sewing notions, next to the blue washout pen, and often packaged with a yellow pencil. I use the blue pen on light colors, but seldom find the yellow pencil useful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MZQuiltz View Post
    Shirley thank you, I will pick that up. Does it stay on long, or do you feel you have to re-apply? Now, how do you trace the pattern. Obviously I can't use a light box as the black background is too dark to see through.
    It lasts well, which is why I use it instead of the chalk pencils. If you darken the room, the lightbox might work, otherwise, tracing cutouts is whats left.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Rather than cutting out the pieces, as there are alot, I may just draw it out on a plastic overlay and cut slits with a razor so I can make some marks. I just thought perhaps there is a tried and true solution to this that I didn't know about!! I see many applique quilts on dark fabrics, and was hoping there was a tried and true method I was just not aware of!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MZQuiltz View Post
    Rather than cutting out the pieces, as there are alot, I may just draw it out on a plastic overlay and cut slits with a razor so I can make some marks. I just thought perhaps there is a tried and true solution to this that I didn't know about!! I see many applique quilts on dark fabrics, and was hoping there was a tried and true method I was just not aware of!
    I actually use a Dremmel for cutting those marking slots. I have a little battery operated one. Just put a piece of flat board underneath.