Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Needle turn applique on dark background

There is a white tracing paper that Renske Helmuth had us use in a class back in 2004 at Quilt Canada, it was like the old carbon paper and you put it between your background fabric and your pattern and used a tracing wheel to trace everything out. I have searched for it on-line but can't find something similar, I'm pretty sure the product name started with an "S" . If you google her name, she has a blog, maybe you could contact her for the info?

The name just came to me, it is Saral transfer paper, here is a link to some. Saral Paper Corporation: Saral Home
    Last edited by thimble; February 14th, 2016 at 03:16 PM.

2. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I still have some of that from dressmaking patterns.

4. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

My fear is it will be permanent though, I want it to be eraseable. My eyesight isn't always what it use to be and sometimes I will finish an applique and see pencil marks on the outside edge. When it's pencil or chalk it can be easily removed. I would worry this would be a permanent mark?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingtrish View Post
    Sticking my nose in here. Can you cut pieces out of your pattern somehow and just lay that down on your background on the table and trace around them using your new pencil?
    Could you trace shapes onto freezer paper then press them on the black fabric and trace?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Saral white transfer paper on a navy blue background. My mistake was that I traced out the whole wallhanging design and started doing reverse applique not realizing until the next morning that my moving arm on top of the quilt was erasing everything that was under that arm. It took 3 hours to draw this pattern on, then my arm is erasing it, ouch. Only mark one specific area, applique, then mark the next area. This was a hard lesson to learn.

8. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MZQuiltz View Post
    My fear is it will be permanent though, I want it to be eraseable. My eyesight isn't always what it use to be and sometimes I will finish an applique and see pencil marks on the outside edge. When it's pencil or chalk it can be easily removed. I would worry this would be a permanent mark?
    No it isn't permanent. But you would want to experiment with it yourself first before trying it on a quilt. Mine was on a wallhanging and it may not stay on your fabric as long as you would want.

10. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter found a pencil that she uses for embroidery. You trace the pattern on the paper with this pencil and then iron it on the fabric. Just remember to trace it backwards. I don't know the name or where she got it, I only watched her use it.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

12. Thanks MZQuiltz thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking some easier advice here first. I went to walmart first to look for the silver pencil. Dritz sells the silver pencil, and yes mine came with a yellow pencil in the package as well. I'm going to use freezer paper to outline the outer portion of the pattern and trace around it. Then I will use my overlay for the details. If I feel the need I'll cut out more pieces of the parts of the overall pattern and continue to trace parts too. My quilt has many appliqued blocks, so if this method doesn't work well for me I'll look into the other tracing papers suggested here. This was my first post here and I can't thank everyone enough, I know now I can come here for great advice.