Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WIP - 2/16/16 - Baby It's Wet Outside

For those of us who live in the northern climes, the weather can be a real challenge. Last night it snowed a bit, and then it rained a bit and the rain froze on top of the snow. Now it is pouring rain, but fortunately the snow and ice are melting. The last two days were bitter cold. I had to rearrange my living room furniture to give the baseboard heater more clearance. I'm liking the new configuration, too. However, JJ, the dog, no longer has access to looking outside unless he stands on his hind legs and puts his front paws on the window sill.

I will be having a quilting adventure later this week. I am going to visit my daughter and her husband, and his daughter, Izzy. Remember Izzy who made the pillow cases? (See my album - Completed in 2015) I will be taking up some of my stash so she can select the materials for the snails portion of her quilt. While I am up there, I am going to help her make a pillow from the leftover pieces of the cat portion of the quilt. She is very excited to do some quilting of her own, and I am excited to be able to help her. Some more plans will also be finalized for my daughter and son-in-law's wedding quilt (wedding was last January!). We should be able to finally select what pictures will be printed for the quilt, and hopefully some color ideas for the sashing.

Meanwhile, in my attempt to piece a backing for a jelly roll quilt, I ended up making a whole other quilt top. I just couldn't get into the scrappy pieced backing with what I had available. Once this top is finished, I will have to decide if I want to use it as the backing, or if I should just go and buy some yardage. I am leaning toward using it for the backing, but one never knows!

I am looking forward to learning what everyone else is doing this week.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 2/16/16 - Baby It's Wet Outside

Hi Sylvia, I've been thinking on a quilt for a niece that has been hinting for one. I know what I want to do....just need to figure out the best way to make it happen. It will probably involve appliqué. Still working in the grinch quilt here and there.

Sounds like a fun time planned with Izzy.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to pull another bargello from my UFO pile. I was able to piece the batting together from only 4 pieces for this one. This will be the fourth quilt I have made by piecing together batting scraps. I am proud to say that I have reduced my pile of batting scraps down to the point where they all now fit in one large box. It was messy but worth it. I have the backing pieces ironed and I am ready to piece then together. If all goes well I should have the quilt sandwich basted together today.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Working on an HST quilt--piecing the backing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1351[1].jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	126083
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angelia View Post
    Working on an HST quilt--piecing the backing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1351[1].jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	126083
    Angelia your quilt is beautiful. Beautiful work. Love the colors.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had to buzz over to Jo-Ann's to get more bright white embroidery floss to finish tying this (Jenny's Floating Hexagons). I'll be cutting the strands off but I left them long so I can see where I've been...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010809.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	126086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010810.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	126087

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kimsophia - The quilt is lovely. I think the blue cornerstones are exactly perfect for this quilt. Now, my duh moment. I don't know what I am looking at on the second picture.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; February 16th, 2016 at 07:24 PM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a UFO queen right now. I have two in the binding process, two in the quilting process (one hand, one my very first FMQ), one finished top with no backing, and the beginnings of a leader-ender project. But what I love most is to piece. So there's nothing else for it. I'm going to look at my fabric scraps & see what I have for Allietare.

The UFO police are going to have to arrest me soon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia H View Post
    Kimsophia - The quilt is lovely. I think the blue cornerstones are exactly perfect for this quilt. Now, my duh moment. I don't know what I am looking at on the second picture.
    The backing is a fabric from Jo-Ann's called Swirl Fur. It was the softest fabric in the store! It's a knit!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimsophia View Post
    The backing is a fabric from Jo-Ann's called Swirl Fur. It was the softest fabric in the store! It's a knit!
    Oh wow! Next time I get to Joann's I'll check it out.