Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Planning ahead?

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning ahead?

I am pretty much a beginner quilter even though I took my first class over 20 years ago.
    Kids and work and just not enough time to really spend on quilting.

We recently retired and now I want to get to doing more quilting. We will be traveling in the rv
    so I need to think about space. This is what I have come up with.

I have inherited a substantial amount of scraps (lots of colors and patterns) and I really like scrap quilts,
    Most of them are different sizes and shapes. I am using my accuquilt (recently acquired) to cut in
    various size strips and will use to make string quilts. I will be able to pack the strips in Ziploc bags that
    will take up less space. I will take my Singer Featherweight, as it is small and easy to use.

My question, would you pack strips according to color family or width?
    Any advice or comments welcome! Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Planning ahead?

I think I would do both: a bag of red family 2 inch, a bag of blue family 2 inch, a bag of red family 1 inch, etc. The bags themselves don't take up much space, and you will have the same amount total in them all together, regardless of how you sort them, I would think.
    I envy you being able to travel and quilt as you go. Have fun!

3. Thanks Romatim thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree I would sort by color and by size otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time measuring to find the right size strip of the color you want to use.
    Joan

5. Thanks Romatim thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How fun! I have no idea how I would do it. I think by color maybe, I love this blog so maybe it can help a little.

FITF: a string quilt block tutorial ? paper pieced method | Film in the Fridge

FITF: a black, white and green baby string quilt | Film in the Fridge

On the second one she did a different colorway, but can't seem to find it.

Lorie

7. Thanks Romatim thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell the color by looking at it, but the difference between 1.25" and 1.5 you would have to pull out a ruler, so I would definitely separate by size.
    Cindy

9. Thanks Romatim thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the replies. Lots to think about.

seaturtle, how close to Atlanta? My son and family live in Loganville!

Hulamoon, that is exactly the pattern/plan I am going to use!! I am going to piece on
    light weight solid color fabric instead of paper. And using the white strip but wider.
    And very scrappy for the rest of the blocks. Might do color family or just mix it all up.
    I have lots of scraps and will be using strips cut in widths of 1, 1 1/2, and 2 inches. Maybe some
    2 1/2' ones too. Mostly depends on what I can get from the scraps.

Thanks again to all.
    Last edited by Romatim; February 7th, 2016 at 06:00 PM.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

We went on long RV trips and I usually had a quilt in mind so packed a sweater box with the colors I needed. If it was a scrap quilt I packed by strip size. I used a lot of Bonnie Hunters patterns. Since her quilts are very random in color, I seldom separated that way. Good luck and have fun.

12. Thanks Romatim thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

When we travel I cut scraps for one quilt & put enough for one block into a baggy. Strips would take alot more room than I have to spare. In 2012 I made this from a free pattern on a blog and wrote whatever campsite name on the star block, it was donated once I had it completed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bound002 (Small).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	125700
    For a strip quilt I agree I would put them into containers by size as it's nice to have a good selection of sizes for each block. I would go down to 3/4" but not larger than the 2 ½ " unless your blocks are 12" blocks.

14. Thanks Romatim thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Very pretty quilt, thimble! I will be making 8" finished squares. The foundations were already
    cut and given to me by my sister. Decided they would be a good place to start. I will be using
    finished 1/2, 1, and 1 1/2 inch strips. Been cutting like crazy with my accuquilt.