Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snowballing and fabric waste.

I am finding I dislike snowballing beyond a 2.5 inch corner because the waste bothers my frugal heart. Yet I find snowballing an easy technique. Any solutions to the cognitive dissonance?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Snowballing and fabric waste.

Sew another seam about 1/2" in the "waste" and save it as a HST piece. Soon you'll have a bunch of HST to put together in a block.
    Cindy

3. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do what seaturtle advised. Before you know it you'll have pieces you can use in another project.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

5. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Or keep snowballing and end up with teeeeeeny tiny bits of waste...? I like the idea of using the waste for HSTs....great idea. Now feeling a weeee bit guilty about not "upcycling" my snowball waste

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Newbie View Post
    I am finding I dislike snowballing beyond a 2.5 inch corner because the waste bothers my frugal heart. Yet I find snowballing an easy technique. Any solutions to the cognitive dissonance?
    I like your frugalness and thought the same thing. The last time I used this technique it was with 1 1/2 inch squares. I saw all those snips of triangles and thought that it was such a waste. So I started sewing those little scraps together. My finished block was very small probably about 1 inch with a 9 patch of hst's. It was a lot of work to save the scraps so I ditched the idea. However this thread I have read some really great ideas for a solution. Thanks for asking.

Everyone, thanks for your good ideas too!

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I did the Pinwheels on point, I did the resew along the line and kept the cuts for the border as she did. It was a large pile of them.

So if you kept them... depending on the size, you could have plenty for projects, borders, mug rugs or baby/crib quilts in no time. I like the idea of using them in borders the most.

LOL... Jenny must have a tub full of them by now from videos. Maybe she will do a tutorial on projects to put them in one day.

But, to be completely honest... tossing tiny scraps of triangles has never really bothered me.
    Last edited by kensington; February 6th, 2016 at 05:27 PM.

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I sew that second seam 1/2" away on anything that is going to give me a HST bigger that 2". Anything that is going to be smaller than two inches hits the trash. I have a basket of 2", 2.5" and 3" HST that came from either snowballing or flying geese. I mainly use them in borders. Bonnie Hunter once said that 2" square piece of fabric cost the same thing as that 1 yd piece so save it and use it. Once I got in the habit of reaching into those baskets for those scraps I find I waste very little.

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up sewing clothing and never thought about it. These little 2 1/2'' pieces would drive me crazy to save.

Lorie

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I do like sea turtle. I have made some darling doll quilts with those half square triangles.

17. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I am thrilled I asked. Any snowball 2.5 or less , I will without compunction toss. But any bigger than that I will do the seam in the waste and collect HSTs. I lik the idea of using these for borders. Thanks.