Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boys vs Girls vs Toddlers

I make all of my quilts to be used by family and friends. I want them to cuddle, drag it around, use it, misuse, whatever. I'm not entering competitions, just sewing them for fun and practicality. I've gone to great time, expense and sometimes a bit of pirate language. I expect my quilts to be USED! When they wear out, I'll make another.

When my grandkids were little, they used them until some of them nearly fell apart. This practice lasted for the girls until recently. Now at 20 and 21, the girls display their quilts at the foot of their beds. Too pretty to use and get dirty. They want to keep them forever because Grandma made them special for each of them.

Now enters the 16 yr old grandson. Yup, he's a quilt user. He uses his quilt every night and drags it to the sofa while watching tv. It is much loved and USED.

So, does your family use or not use your beautiful quilts?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boys vs Girls vs Toddlers

I hope so, but when I went to visit my son, I found his boys' quilts stuffed at the top of the linen closet, so no more quilts for that family!

I think my other grandkids use theirs. I'm finishing one for their mom, my guess is if it goes on the bed, at least the dogs will enjoy it! They all sleep on the beds and couches!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sharyn, I can understand why your granddaughters' don't want to use their quilts but display their quilts. For as long as I can remember, I wanted my Grandma to make me a quilt (she was a quilter and made some amazing quilts). I was one of seven grandchildren - each of us were made one quilt. And we had to wait our turn - she went oldest to youngest (I was the fifth grandchild). I knew that I would only get this one quilt from Grandma. It was a wedding gift. I was and still am extremely careful with it. I lost my Grandma several years ago and miss her greatly. It is not so much about not wanting to use the quilt as wanting to hang on to something that my Grandma made for me.

I learned very early on that as much as we wish our grandparents were around forever, we realize that they will not be and to treasure the memories and special things that they made for us. My other Grandma made me a quilt that is worn out from use when I was a child and I do wish this quilt was in better shape so it would not be falling apart.

Both quilts are displayed in my home and bring a smile to my face each time I see them. Other quilts that I have do get used and the children use each of the quilts that I make from them.

Jean, ouch that the quilts were not even out to be seen but stuffed away.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have "inflicted" everyone in my family with a quilt. I know most of them are used I used to give baby quilts to guys wives in my squadron who were pregnant. some of them said, they were to pretty to use, and they are going to hang them on the way. Yes I was somewhat flattered, but somewhat irritated. I said no wall needs to keep as warm as a baby does. Oh well I cant tell people how to decorate their houses.
    I LOVE JESUS

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jean I would be unhappy if I found them stuffed anywhere. I agree with you.
    I LOVE JESUS

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like you hope they are used and enjoyed. I think the ones I've given, have been. After all the effort and expenses , that's what it's all bout, using them is.like loving them. Now using them as display on the girls beds is OK, cause that says that the quilts are being cherished. I have a quilt my aunt made gosh, some fifty years ago.I use it as a bed dressing. So it doesn't have to be washed all the time.it still looks grate. I love having it, she passed away many years ago. The quilt holds a lot of special memories from my childhood. It's a treasure. I hope one day the quilts will be treasures for my family too.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that my quilts should be used. Everyone in my immediate family all have multiple quilts and I can say they are used and loved. I am slowly gifting quilts to extended family and some use them and some tuck them away. I said something once to a great niece that I wanted her to use the quilt I gave her and not put it away and she said with a giggle, I'll pack the first one away but I promise to use the second. That sweet child got a second quilt before others got a first and she covers herself with it on the couch all the time and occasionally sends me a picture of herself wrapped up in the. The first one is indeed packed away so her daughter can have it someday. I guess I just have to let the recipient do what they will.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that having a quilt on the end of the bed is using it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sharyn,
    Years ago, when my DH & I were first married his maternal grandma gave me several pillowcases that had tatted lace on them. Once when she visited our house she noticed that there were no pillowcases being used, and gently explained that if I didn't use them she would no longer give us any more handmade gifts. Well.....that was all that needed to be said ! I then began to use the pillowcases and years later my DH's mom showed me how to gently remove the tatted lace from the worn out cases. Since then I have loving cared for depression era glass ware ( she collected two sets for each of her two grandsons ( in different colors ) and of course made each one of them a quilt as well.
    I happen to enjoy the heirlooms, however I have two sisters that could really care less, so when my mom became ill, she gave me a lot of the things that my grandma had given her with instructions that I could give the items to my sisters if they wanted them in the future. I have done that.
    I am in the process of making each of my children quilts with photos of their dad. The quilts are made from the clothing their dad wore prior to his passing. I can't wait to be able to give them their quilts ( hopefully Christmas of 2016 )

In closing, there's a lot of people out there that just don't like quilts OR they don't care of heirlooms. You can't make everyone like everything I guess ( although I can't imagine not appreciating something my family made LOL ! )

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thus far, the quilts that I have gifted have been used to the best of my knowledge.