Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New quilter!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New quilter!

Quote Originally Posted by ucarrieme View Post
    I'm new to quilting and want to make fun back for a small practice quilt I'm making. Does anyone use scraps on the back that match the front?
    Hi and welcome to the BEST forum ever. Yes you can. It really gives a quilt that extra kick. We usually end up with leftover fabric and at times full blocks. They cab be all pieced together or scattered on the backing.
    It's been said before ,there is no quilt police and this is your quilt.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love doing two sided quilts, it uses up all those ufos. Please see previous thread A faster way to get quilts done

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A while back a took a quilt to be quilted to the lady with the longarm in town. She is an old fashioned quilter for lack of a better term. We were talking about the plans for the quilt to be quilted and I told her I was going to use the left overs of the back to bind the quilt and she informed me that using any fabric on the back was simply against the rules on the front. At the time I thought she knew what she was talking about, but she was just set in her ways and pushing her quilting inside the box advice off on me. I now know from this website that you can do whatever you want. You are your own quilt police. I think it is a great idea using scraps up and not letting them accumulate! Have fun with it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from New Jersey, You certainly can use leftovers from the front in your backing, leftover blocks too, it's your quilt so do whatever you want to. Once I had a huge stack of 12" Squares that sort of went together re: color and theme. I cut the ones liked into smaller pieces and made a nice scrappy quilt top. I sewed the leftover squares together and used them for the backing and both sides of the quilt looked good.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For my first few quilts I decided to be "economical" and used less expensive solids rather than the designer fabrics that were used for the front of the quilts. I wish I had used prettier fabric on the back. If you use your quilts you see the back of the quilt just as much as the front. It deserves to be pretty too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the quilt, but yes, pieced backs are awesome! I currently have leftover blocks from the Phoebe's Flower Box that I'm making - they will definitely be added to the backing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pieced Back Examples
    1. I used the leftover diamonds from the front - Sew Preeti Quilts: Diamonds - Girl's Best Friends
    2. Used the leftover strips from the front to add interest to the back of Lickety Split Quilt - Sew Preeti Quilts: Colorful Life & Lickety Split
    3. The back was pieced just because it was a little short - Sew Preeti Quilts: Grape Salad
    4. Ah well, this one was done to fix a mistake - Sew Preeti Quilts: Mistake? No. Scenic Route YES!!!
    Hope this helps.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Preeti,

I just spent some delightful time reading your blog and enjoying your delightful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing your talents quilting, writing, and teaching, with others!

Tricia

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If this helps, Craftsy has a free mini class on Creative Quilt backs by Elizabeth Hartman. She talks about pieced backs.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it in the past a long time ago. I prefer not to but think pieced backs are pretty. I would rather save the time and use leftover scraps in a future scrap quilt. Here is a link to My Quilt Infatuation. She always uses the scraps leftover for her quilt backs and they look fabulous.

My Quilt Infatuation