Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oh, no! Not Hancock's!

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    If you google this, there are several news articles posted. Reuters stated this is Hancock's 2nd bankruptcy filing since 2007. Hancock's may put the entire co. of 250 retail sewing & crafting stores up for sale. H's has $151.4 mil. in assets & $182.1 mil. in liabilities. Yahoo Finance is reporting H's wants to close at least 70 money losing stores among its 250 in 37 states. If you want to know more, check out the Google listings. I'm sure it will be a loss to quilting/crafting customers in many communities. I shop there occasionally, but the fabric quality is not as good as at my LQS. I used to buy my Olfa rotary cutter blades there, but I found them cheaper on line at Amazon.
    I'm not criticizing you - I do the same thing, but unfortunately this is what is driving the other stores out of business. I only recently discovered there is a Hancocks about 15-20 miles from me, but have not been to check it out. There used to be several in Tampa when I was growing up, so I am familiar with them, but with the exception of one, they closed years ago. That one, in South Tampa, was small, dark, dirty, disorganized and smelled!

Anyway, I sure hope they don't close Jean's store! What will she do?
    Donna

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they closed my Hancock's, which was so close I could walk there in about a minute. I miss it terribly. The closest one is about 10 minutes away (also in St. Louis) If that closes, I will end up buying almost everything on line. JoAnn's is actually closer, but I just do not like their fabric selection, and usually walk out of there empty handed. I am reminded that I stopped making my own clothes when you could no longer find garment fabric. Didn't sew for years until I got interested in quilting.

3. Thanks QuiltedPurl thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Our Hancocks is always busy so I'm hoping they don't close. I can't afford the LQS prices on my income.

5. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have found Kaufman fabric at my local Hancock's - you could have knocked me over with a feather! Cheap too! I would be so sad if mine closed. Joanns has really upped their game too with the Nicole miller line of fabrics - for those that sew clothes. Both stores fill a need I think- my Lqs have limited selections and are not as close.
    If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

7. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could say this surprised me but....I worked for Hancock's for 6 years part time back in about 2005 and then they closed my store. They brought in a lady that had worked high up in Joanne's can I say fabric really went down. They used to have really great fabric .

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so sad. I'm sorry, Jean. I guess online is the competition. I do shop online but I sure would hate to lose access to local stores. Does that mean all Hancock's stores will be closing?
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I was in ours yesterday. some of the shelves were empty. I asked if they were going out of business, they said no, just getting in new stuff. But we know the signs of closure. Crap. getting harder and harder to find fabric stores. And it is just not the fabric, it is all the doodads that we like to look at.
    I LOVE JESUS

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do ya think they'll shut the Padukah store too?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommadeb View Post
    Do ya think they'll shut the Padukah store too?
    I don't think they are connected. The Hancock's chain is based in Mississippi. I think the one in Paducah is an independent store. You're safe to continue ordering from them!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hancock Fabrics is the National chain.

Hancock's of Paducah is the lone store. The 's is the difference, even though most of us refer to the national stores as Hancock's, that isn't correct.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.