Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorful ?

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colorful ?

Here's my newest quilt top ready to be quilted
    Put the center together on a Sunday a week ago then put the border on this past Saturday. Love the harliquin borders but they do take awhile to make.
    Any ideas how some of you would quilt it ?
    Thanks for looking!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	125302

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colorful ?

I love colorful quilts. You did a great job.

If you would like some quilting ideas please let us know more. How will the quilt be used? How frequently will it be washed and dried? Will it be quilted on a DSM with a walking foot, FMQ, or a combination? Will it be quilted on a long arm?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    I love colorful quilts. You did a great job
    If you would like some quilting ideas please let us know more. How will the quilt be used? How frequently will it be washed and dried? Will it be quilted on a DSM with a walking foot, FMQ, or a combination? Will it be quilted on a long arm?
    Thank you for the compliment !

Well I started it with no purpose --- didn't know what I wanted to do with it. A friend saw it and commented how much she liked it so it's hers. It's not large enough for a bed -- I made it more for lap size for tv watching - reading- able to take it in a car

I'm sorry. I don't know what DSM or FMQ mean. Guessing I'll either take it to a friend that rents out her long arm for 15.00 per hour or give it to another quilting friend who has her own long arm. One way I quilt it. The other way a friend quilts it. I was just curious what pattern others might pick. I'm not a real fan of the stippling
    Last edited by Mdhorchem; February 1st, 2016 at 09:56 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can't be more specific, but with all the straight lines, you might consider curves, such as spirals, shells, unless you want to do a specific pattern in each color block.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question: DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine. FMQ = Free Motion Quilting -- which can be done with a walking foot on a DSM or with a darning foot, where you move the quilt sandwich under the foot freely to quilt it. A LA = Long Arm quilting machine, which can be a table model or a stand-up model. I agree that some curvy quilting would tone down all the squares & straight lines. The colored rail fence blocks give me an idea about how to use some fabric in my stash. The border is beautiful & definitely time-consuming. I'm sure your friend will love it. Post pics when it's done.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is a stunning quilt. Great job.
    One thing I have discovered in lap quilts is you don't want to over quilt because the quilt becomes too stiff. You could carry the diamonds of the border into the center of the quilt as the design for the quilting.
    Whatever you do, it will be beautiful and cherished.
    Tortugaquilter

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So cheerful and colorful! I love it, great job!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You did a super job on this great colorful quilt... I LOVE all that color... The border is so pretty.

I often use my serpentine stitch for quilting, especially when the lines are straight... It's a wonderful stitch for SID..,..doesn't matter if you get out of the ditch...and it adds texture...

Good luck... Whatever you do, it's still going to still be beautiful.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Stunnng quilt. Love the border!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That sure is pretty. Good luck with the quilting...I have no ideas...the actual quilting is always the hardest part for me.