• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notsewfast
    Rotary Pro
    • Sep 2013

Re: Handi quilter little foot frame

I bought the simply sixteen last year and enjoy quilting on it. The best part is the small footprint, since I don't have a lot of room for a larger frame. Yes, I have to sandwich and baste the quilt first, but not a big deal (I spray baste.) A friend of mine had bought the sweet 16 the year before (the sit-down model), but she is pretty adept at FMQ and doesn't like to stand for very long, so that was perfect for her. I, on the other hand, have never had the patience to practice - practice - practice to get the hang of FMQ. With the simply sixteen, I just use the handlebars and drive.

It does take some effort to move the quilt on the frame, but after doing it a couple of times, it gets easier and it's not a problem for me, anyway. I have been tearing through my UFOs and finally getting them quilted, too. I understand the reservations folks have about the price, standing to quilt, moving the quilt, having to baste before putting the quilt on the frame, etc. All in all, I do not regret buying the simply sixteen. It fits my needs perfectly!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2015

UPDATE on my earlier post of March 2016. I was volunteering at my guild's quilt show in May 2016, and got to try a Sweet 16. I loved the ease of moving around the fabric and large throat. The store owner said the show price would apply all week, so I had time to think of it. When the vendors were packing up and leaving, I told her I would drop by the shop to have another look. She said - "don't bother, just wait until yours comes in. But I said, I didn't buy it. She replied that my husband ordered one for me. It was also my 60th birthday that weekend. Gotta love that man, and he quilts also. He has quilted his King size on it, and I have done many up to Queen size. We have built a suspension system to help with the weight of quilt. We sandwich on a 14 foot wood frame that our neighbour made for us.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2016

Well Happy Late Birthday and you have a "keeper" there for a hubby for sure!

Comment

• icul8rg8r
          Binding Belle
          • Apr 2013

I went to "Try Before You Buy" long arm class this past weekend and had an opportunity to play with the Handi Quilter Simply Sixteen on the Little Foot Frame. It was soooo much fun (there are lots of Handi Quilter dealers are out there with this set up so I'd try to find one and try it out yourself).

It actually was pretty easy and surprisingly quick to attach the quilt and then move / reposition it if required for larger quilts (and much MUCH easier than struggling to push a larger quilt through a domestic sewing machine). Plus, with stitch regulation, it was much easier to maneuver the machine head, than if you had a sit-down mid-arm where you'd still have to maneuver the quilt sandwich. I tried that, as well (the Sweet Sixteen model), but I'm not that good at maintaining even stitches on my own.

The entire Simply Sixteen with Little Foot Frame was about $5k, new. Your dealer may have used ones taken in as trade for less. I wanted a little bit bigger throat so I purchased a bigger long arm and larger frame, but I really did enjoy playing and test driving the Simply Sixteen and Little Foot Frame!
          Last edited by icul8rg8r; January 30, 2018, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• Jean Marie
            Applique Angel
            • Mar 2014

From what I've seen about the Brother Dream setup I really love but I don't hear too much on social about it. Don't know if that's good or bad! I believe you can use just about any sewing machine with a large throat space with the frame and don't have to buy the Dream machine they show with it. I think the frame is around $3000. Not an option for me right now but has anyone used a Sewmate extension table and what do you think of it? If I am going to spend the money on a large extension then I want to be sure the legs and such are as versatile as they claim.....don't get loose with use etc and have you been able to use it on multiple machines? Thanks
            :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
            X