Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Handi quilter little foot frame

I am giving this thread a bump. I got to see this demonstrated at the quilt show and I was sort of disappointed how much work it is it reload your quilt and move it down. I also saw the throat space on the machine was not that great and so I have decided against this. I still like the small footprint it would take up in the house. Hopefully someone will invent one that is more portable so you can put it in the corner folded up when it is not in use. I also saw the brother version of this. Again the throat space is not that great. I see there is someone who purchased one and would like to know if they have toyed with it and if they like it.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Brother Dream Frame. I haven't had to baste a quilt and I did a pretty big one. The Dream Frame has a wheel so you can turn it to add a little more tension to the quilt.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any of these fancy machines but I can't resist making a comment. Haha Deegles you are a riot! "I cannot put it in the kitchen..." You are right. All that cooking and dish washing would probably get in your way.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    I am giving this thread a bump. I got to see this demonstrated at the quilt show and I was sort of disappointed how much work it is it reload your quilt and move it down. I also saw the throat space on the machine was not that great and so I have decided against this. I still like the small footprint it would take up in the house. Hopefully someone will invent one that is more portable so you can put it in the corner folded up when it is not in use. I also saw the brother version of this. Again the throat space is not that great. I see there is someone who purchased one and would like to know if they have toyed with it and if they like it.
    I watched a YouTube video showing this frame in use. I thought there was a lot involved in moving and rearranging the quilt too.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

A lady in my area is selling this frame. Does anyone know if I can use it with my Juki 300? It has a throat space of 8 inches.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the simply sixteen last year and enjoy quilting on it. The best part is the small footprint, since I don't have a lot of room for a larger frame. Yes, I have to sandwich and baste the quilt first, but not a big deal (I spray baste.) A friend of mine had bought the sweet 16 the year before (the sit-down model), but she is pretty adept at FMQ and doesn't like to stand for very long, so that was perfect for her. I, on the other hand, have never had the patience to practice - practice - practice to get the hang of FMQ. With the simply sixteen, I just use the handlebars and drive.

It does take some effort to move the quilt on the frame, but after doing it a couple of times, it gets easier and it's not a problem for me, anyway. I have been tearing through my UFOs and finally getting them quilted, too. I understand the reservations folks have about the price, standing to quilt, moving the quilt, having to baste before putting the quilt on the frame, etc. All in all, I do not regret buying the simply sixteen. It fits my needs perfectly!

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE on my earlier post of March 2016. I was volunteering at my guild's quilt show in May 2016, and got to try a Sweet 16. I loved the ease of moving around the fabric and large throat. The store owner said the show price would apply all week, so I had time to think of it. When the vendors were packing up and leaving, I told her I would drop by the shop to have another look. She said - "don't bother, just wait until yours comes in. But I said, I didn't buy it. She replied that my husband ordered one for me. It was also my 60th birthday that weekend. Gotta love that man, and he quilts also. He has quilted his King size on it, and I have done many up to Queen size. We have built a suspension system to help with the weight of quilt. We sandwich on a 14 foot wood frame that our neighbour made for us.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Well Happy Late Birthday and you have a "keeper" there for a hubby for sure!

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I went to "Try Before You Buy" long arm class this past weekend and had an opportunity to play with the Handi Quilter Simply Sixteen on the Little Foot Frame. It was soooo much fun (there are lots of Handi Quilter dealers are out there with this set up so I'd try to find one and try it out yourself).

It actually was pretty easy and surprisingly quick to attach the quilt and then move / reposition it if required for larger quilts (and much MUCH easier than struggling to push a larger quilt through a domestic sewing machine). Plus, with stitch regulation, it was much easier to maneuver the machine head, than if you had a sit-down mid-arm where you'd still have to maneuver the quilt sandwich. I tried that, as well (the Sweet Sixteen model), but I'm not that good at maintaining even stitches on my own.

The entire Simply Sixteen with Little Foot Frame was about $5k, new. Your dealer may have used ones taken in as trade for less. I wanted a little bit bigger throat so I purchased a bigger long arm and larger frame, but I really did enjoy playing and test driving the Simply Sixteen and Little Foot Frame!
    Last edited by icul8rg8r; January 30th, 2018 at 10:49 AM.