Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tension problems

My thread is puckering. I looked in the manual and it said the tension is wrong - duh! It said it could be the presser foot, the bobbin tension, thread tension, the needle or the thread. Again - Duh! But which one? I've tried a few combinations and I'm getting frustrated. I've successfully used this thread before on another project. It's good quilting fabric (from M*QC ). I haven't changed the needle, yet. There is also the flat metal piece on the the top with the 3 holes. What's that for? When my frustration levels subsides, I'll go through a more systematic process.

My question is - is there a rule of thumb to follow with tension problems? I've heard "if the problem is on the bottom, check the top thread" and that usually works. But this isn't really top or bottom. Any suggestions? Or is it just trial and error?
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tension problems

First, check to make sure that none of your settings have been changed. Sometimes, I accidentally move something, or bump a button, and presto chango, my stitches are goofed up. Next, turn off your machine and clean around the bobbin area because a build up of lint causes problems. Do you have a machine that needs to be oiled? If it hasn't been oiled recently, add a drop of oil.

I'd then change the needle and rethread the machine. That's the best I can offer. If it doesn't work, then I hope someone can provide additional help.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

3. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My puckering problems usually are corrected by the presser foot adjustment. Yep, mine is in an area that is easy to bump into. When I get puckering I decrease the pressure. 99% of the time it's worked for me. The other 1% is solved by retreading the bobbin.

Knock on wood - never had to play with the thread tension adjustments.

5. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

About that flat metal piece with 3 holes in it, it is a pretension adjustment. It can be threaded through 2 or 3 holes to add just a little more tension on the thread if that is needed. I have that on two of my mechanical industrial machines. You didn't say what type of machine you are using.

7. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It would help to know if you're talking about a DSM or a LA.

9. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

The piece with 3 holes could definitely be part of it, especially if you're threading through all 3 holes. Try 2 or 1 hole instead. If you're getting puckering, check to make sure both thread paths are clear. Sometimes the top thread gets caught up on something, and sometimes the bobbin somehow gets inserted wrong.

11. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Juki 2010Q. Sorry I forgot to say that. Thanks for all the suggestions. And the reminder about oiling. I think I'll start by oiling and cleaning the bobbin area. Then change the needle and rethread and set the tensions back to the middle. Then take a deep cleansing breath. ☺
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I do when I have a problem like this is only make one change at a time. Then I can figure out what fixes the problem. If you make two or three changes and then try to sew you don't know what helped or didn't help.

14. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Juki 2010Q. It would help to know a few facts: What thread are you using on top and in the bobbin? Are you piecing or FMQ on a quilt sandwich? What needle and size are you using?

The 3-hole sub-tension disk is used to get better tension using various types of thread. Normally, you will use only 2 holes. The manual states to use all three holes with invisible thread, but I never do that; I use only one.

16. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=CraftHer;838567]My thread is puckering. I looked in the manual and it said the tension is wrong - duh! It said it could be the presser foot, the bobbin tension, thread tension..... There is also the flat metal piece on the the top with the 3 holes. What's that for? ]

Are you using a Juki TL 2010? That flat metal piece with 3 holes is part of the thread path. Think of it as pretension. If you have skipped it, unthread your machine and look at the manual before trying again.

18. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post