Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please advise - is this correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-01-17 13.17.54.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	124421
    Please advise as to whether this is a correct log cabin technique around the star. Somehow it seems off. I have never done a log cabin around a square and need to know if it needs revised.

Thank you.
    Catherine
    Life is full of loose threads - deal with it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please advise - is this correct?

I think it looks fine and I don't know how else you could do it with the center star. The reason it might look a little off its that (I think) most log cabin blocks are square and yours looks like a rectangle. But when you get multiple blocks put together you should still get that classic log cabin stair step thing going. Maybe someone else will have a more helpful answer. By the way the points of your star are just perfect!!!

3. Thanks happy2travel thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I think it looks fine and I don't know how else you could do it with the center star. The reason it might look a little off its that (I think) most log cabin blocks are square and yours looks like a rectangle. But when you get multiple blocks put together you should still get that classic log cabin stair step thing going. Maybe someone else will have a more helpful answer. By the way the points of your star are just perfect!!!
    The whole square measure 16 inches by 16 inches. The center star square is 8.5 inches. I added two 2.5 inch strips to each side. Maybe it is ok after all. Thanks for your reply.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you added the logs the correct way. Just do all the blocks the same. It's going to be pretty. I love the star center.

6. Thanks happy2travel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Catherine, I'm not the one who would know about the log cabin.......I want to do one too, .....but as far as I can tell, it looks good, and your points are spot on. Very pretty block.

The thing about the log cabin is I always find myself looking at them a couple of times to figure them out....Lol...... maybe that's what your doing.
    They play with my eyes.

It will be a pretty quilt for sure.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

8. Thanks happy2travel thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SewnByBee View Post
    Hi Catherine, I'm not the one who would know about the log cabin.......I want to do one too, .....but as far as I can tell, it looks good, and your points are spot on. Very pretty block.

The thing about the log cabin is I always find myself looking at them a couple of times to figure them out....Lol...... maybe that's what your doing.
    They play with my eyes.

It will be a pretty quilt for sure.
    That must be what I am doing - overthinking it. Thanks

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    Yes, you added the logs the correct way. Just do all the blocks the same. It's going to be pretty. I love the star center.
    Thanks for your reassurance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It looks fine. The thing to look for is whether the shortest log is on the same side on both layers of logs, and also the longest log is on the same side in both layers of logs -- and yours meets that criteria.

Many people do their log cabins clockwise, and it looks like you went counter-clockwise, which may be throwing you off. But it's not a rule or anything. Just be consistent!

12. Thanks happy2travel thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire OneStitchAtATime View Post
    It looks fine. The thing to look for is whether the shortest log is on the same side on both layers of logs, and also the longest log is on the same side in both layers of logs -- and yours meets that criteria.

Many people do their log cabins clockwise, and it looks like you went counter-clockwise, which may be throwing you off. But it's not a rule or anything. Just be consistent!
    Thanks! I think you answered the critical question. It meets the criteria but it is counter clockwise and it threw me off. I couldn't figure out what was different.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks perfect and very pretty. What may look off is your last two strip were put on in reverse order. But it works.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

15. Thanks happy2travel thanked for this post