Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you use Craftsy for?

I know this is kind of a stupid question. I just joined Craftsy today. I signed up for a free mini class on quilting basics. Watched it, and it was totally worthless. Did not show a single thing about quilting, and it was very short. Luckily I really didn't need a quilting 101 class anyways, so now I am wondering what's the big deal about Craftsy and why does everyone belong to it?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you use Craftsy for?

There are lots of good Craftsy classes but there are some duds too. If you are interested in other classes try doing a search on this forum for Craftsy classes. There should be quite a few post. That way you can read opinions about the classes.....which ones are good and which ones too avoid. There were a lot of post in October about craftsy classes because of the $9.99 month long promo they had. I usually look at the lesson plan for the class to help me decide if it's something I want to learn more about.

I've bought a few classes but I wait until they are on sale cheap. My favorite are Jacquie Gerings classes. The best thing about the classes is that you can watch them anytime after you purchase them.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I signed up for it because they have great sales,but they also offer all kinds of classes.The classes go on sale fairly often too.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I joined for the classes. Being a cheapskate, I signed up for the Block of the Month class taught by Amy Gibson. It was free and being new to quilting I wanted to learn different techniques. It was very good in my opinion, my quilt was ugly, but it is only because I used some FQ from Big Lots and an apple green for the background that was cheap.

I also signed up for the other free BOMs but I haven't made anything from them. I 'bought' some free things as well - some lovely blocks to hand embroider, and quite a few other neat things.

This past October, they had a really awesome deal - for $10 you could watch anything you wanted. It was very good and I binge watched a lot of classes in quilting, crochet, cooking and even woodworking. A lot of us here were bleary eyed at the end of October.

I know a lot of people also buy fabrics from Craftsy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I dig around Craftsy for patterns, both quilting and knitting. There are lots of free ones, along with reasonably priced for pay ones to download.

Terri

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I joined several FMQ Classes and as a beginner they were extremely helpful. There is one Quiltshop in Munich and they are offering different classes, but to get a quick information craftsy is perfect. I love Ann Petersens an Lori Kennedys classes and use their patterns very often...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Craftsy addict. I have well over 50 classes, only buy them when on sale. I grab all the free ones in quilting and sewing. I rewatch many classes. When making one of the items its just like having Jennys tutorials. You can watch anytime, pause as your working. I also catch their great sales on fabrics and notion, especially thread. As previously said, sometimes there is a class not so great, however it can be a matter of individual taste or experience. I would say grab one of the free classes, or BOM classes. Hopefully you will enjoy a couple. Then wait for sales and get one that peaks your interest.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello JJ, I am in Australia and am participating in several Craftsy classes. I am very pleased with them all and have found them to be clear, concise and great on detail. I am wondering if maybe what you saw was a trailer. There are lots of those little 'shorties' to give you an idea what you would be signing up for.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    I am a Craftsy addict. I have well over 50 classes, only buy them when on sale. I grab all the free ones in quilting and sewing. I rewatch many classes. When making one of the items its just like having Jennys tutorials. You can watch anytime, pause as your working. I also catch their great sales on fabrics and notion, especially thread. As previously said, sometimes there is a class not so great, however it can be a matter of individual taste or experience. I would say grab one of the free classes, or BOM classes. Hopefully you will enjoy a couple. Then wait for sales and get one that peaks your interest.
    I would agree with others and this post. I keep waiting for my wish list classes to go on sale. I don't purchase until they hit $14.99 or $19.99. I also have over 50 classes(at last count). There are a few I will go back to. There is a free bag tutorial that I have used many times. There are quite a few folks that I like better than others teaching their classes. If you are new to quilting, I suggest the cutting techniques. Whoa, what a huge help! And I love those that piece without "Y" seams! If you want to know the teachers, let me know and I will wade thru and dig them up!

Oh, and I also purchase some fabrics on Craftsy.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

JJ, just realized you aren't a new quilter! LOL Well, if anyone else is interested, I will be glad to list my favorites and most helpful tutorials on Craftsy.

11. Thanks Devchdm thanked for this post