Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to store the quilt when the occasion hasn't arrived yet....

Hi all,

My younger son and his fiancee's quilt came back from MSQC BEAUTIFULLY finished! I'm SO in love with it! BUT, and that is a big 'but', they are not getting married until November this year. I took it out of the box a few times to admire and the last time I took it out to show my older son and DIL, my husband and I noticed the fold lines. ARGH! NO!!!

Any suggestions on how to store this quilt (it's full size) until November would be greatly appreciated! It is possible that I may give it to them early. The actual day of the wedding is so hectic for everyone! Until then...what do I do???

Oh, and will these folds come out eventually?

Happy New Year everyone!
    [I]-Lynn

Surround yourself with those who see the greatness within you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to store the quilt when the occasion hasn't arrived yet....

Spread the quilt out on a bed and smooth the wrinkles with your hard. Then, gently fold the quilt in half or thirds and roll it. I would then slide it into a pillowcase and tuck it away for safekeeping until November. Once the quilt is used and washed the fold lines should go away. You could also wash the quilt before you gift it.

3. Thanks LRF965 thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I think to answer the question, I need to see pictures of the quilt . . . just kidding! I just want to see it!

The serious answer is: if you can, try to take it out every few weeks and refold it a different way. I read that it is important, especially if you have a cotton batting, to periodically refold your quilts to avoid creating permanent creases. What periodically translates to is difficult to say but I took it as at least several times a year but to be safe I would say at least once a month if that is possible. Also gives you a chance to enjoy it some more!

Best of luck!
    Laura

5. Thanks LRF965 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do what Barb suggested. But an alternative would be to lay it out, lay acid-free tissue on one end and then roll the entire thing around a cardboard tube (you can usually find a freebie at a carpet store), and then into a muslin tube and store in your closet or under your bed until the big day arrives. (the tissue paper would be against the cardboard tube to protect the quilt).
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

7. Thanks LRF965 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video on how to fold quilts to minimize storage creasing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2NWaZccSY
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

9. Thanks LRF965 thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a spare room that they won't use or see you could also lay it out on that bed and cover over it with another to "hide" it from view. Of course this is only if you don't have pets or small children that could get near it...

11. Thanks LRF965 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    If you have a spare room that they won't use or see you could also lay it out on that bed and cover over it with another to "hide" it from view. Of course this is only if you don't have pets or small children that could get near it...
    I have actually heard of someone storing several quilts this way. It does cause a problem if someone wants to use the bed! LOL
    Vonnie

13. Thanks LRF965 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone on this forum is so smart. I was just telling a customer at the restaurant that I knew she shouldn't store her quilt in plastic and I was thinking she should either put it in tissue or cotton but I wasn't certain. She brought it in a few days later (her grandmother had made it 30 years ago). I actually told her it was a shame to store it at all, that she should put it on a bed perhaps in the guest room and enjoy it. I asked her, "what are you saving it for? why don't you enjoy it and look at it?" She looked at me and said she planned to do just that. She is in her 60's, no children at home and travels frequently and said after taking it out of the plastic, she realized it wasn't enjoyable on the shelf.

15. Thanks LRF965 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    Here is a video on how to fold quilts to minimize storage creasing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2NWaZccSY
    Does anyone know what the green thingy is that she then puts the folded quilt into?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieDoodle View Post
    Does anyone know what the green thingy is that she then puts the folded quilt into?
    In the video she refers to its as an Eagle Creek Packing Cube.

Pack-it Cubes | Packing Cubes| Eagle Creek®
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.