Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 1/5/16 - New Year, New Plans?

Sylvia, you are on a roll!!

How exciting Rosie, to be finishing a quilt for YOU!

Splinter, I love the pattern, but I confess that I, too, would be nervous about the 1 1/2 inch scraps!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After a couple weeks off I wondered into the sewing room and worked on some Irish chain blocks. made about 30 and now need to make up some more strip sets. Haven't been real motivated so I thought I would start with something simple that I already had set to put together.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my weekend progress. These are from Gourmet Quilter's block of the day quilt. I know . . . it's January 11 and I only have four blocks complete, but that's okay. I decided to do the applique and embroidery by hand, so I will be behind for the duration and then some. I have accepted that. I'm listening to audiobooks while working on these, so it is a thoroughly enjoyable process.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2235.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	124118
    Last edited by Splinter; January 11th, 2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: adding photo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimsophia View Post
    My hexagon template and Bloom and Bliss jellyroll arrived today and I'm banging out hexagons a mile a minute! So easy with the jellyroll pieces already folded in half and the correct width, so all I have to do is slice along the sides of the template. I think this is the most fun I've ever had cutting. The fabric is just like the photo was so that's a blessing. I remembered to use my lazy Susan cutting mat which makes life even better.

I was surprised that I really liked the look of this fabric against a black background, although I did go with Optic White. For a second there I was torn but I put it side by side and picked the white.

I think I've figured out how to divide the Floating Hexagon pattern into strips that will fit into the throat of my new machine. I'm toying with the idea to use Minky fabric for the backing. That might be too hot with batting inside, so then I am thinking of leaving it out...anybody have experience with that?
    Kim - I use a really light poly batting when I use a minky (or kinky!) backing. I read someone on here saying they went without any batting with a minky quilt and regretted it. Minky quilts are definitely warm, and a bit heavier, but the super light poly batting doesn't add too much (almost no extra weight!). I also dont do a lot of quilting with minky - just stitch in the ditch between the blocks usually. With my mom's jelly roll race that I used minky on, I did a serpentine stitch on every other row in the center of the 2.5" strip (horizontally I mean). I actually quite enjoy the minky backing. It makes for such a soft and cuddly quilt (another reason not to over-quilt it, keeps it really soft to wrap up in).

Terri

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished quilting my 2nd top of the year. My goal is to get as many of my UFOs as possible completed this year.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, there is so much going on. A bunch of busy bees you all are. I have managed to finish the top for a tablerunner and I have cleaned up my sewing room. Not as far as you all, but I have started. I joined git r done to help me along.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have quite a few projects that I really want to get done this year. I have two WIP's 1. My Kaffe Fassett quilt and 2. my Row by Row from this past summer. I have a kit that I want to make for my brother in law and sister in law, plus all the fabrics to make a football themed quilt (Cluck Cluck Sew pattern called Touchdown) for my son and daughter in law to be. Maybe it will be a wedding gift for them in July. Those are just a few off the top of my head. I would like to get at least 12 quilts made this year, but I don't know if that will happen or not...maybe if I make some fun baby quilts with some stash that would get me closer to that number.

Terri

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, y'all are so ambitious and your quilts are gorgeous!

It's so bleeping cold out that I've gotten 300 white and 300 print half hexagons cut. Now I have to cut the white ones in half again.

Thanks for the advice, Sewlucky. I choose our ultra cuddle blankets over quilts in front of the TV. I think they are better for the warmth, softness, and lightweight qualities. But of course the quilts are beautiful and they aren't. So I hope to get the best of both worlds and nobody better hog my blankie! lolol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow so many projects I have no work in progress to show right now, basically because I spent the whole last week sewing from start to finish some baby gifts that should be received today But as soon as I get back from work today I should be able to start sewing again (this time for me) and then have something to share

Have a good sewing day everybody!
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps