Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Applique question

I am not a sewer, I only make quilts. I have tried using the zigzag stitch on my machine once with just okay results. I want to try again but not sure how to make the applique look nice. I have put heavy duty Wonder Under on the back of the flowers. Should I also put something on back of the fabric I'll be appliqueing the flower onto? If so what do I use?
    I'm hoping for success since this is a technique I'm hoping to use again.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Applique question

I don't think you need to have super heavy duty wonder under, practice is what will help you most. Learning how to make the turns on the design is what will make it look nice. Also adjusting the stitch to get a tight zig zag stitch. You might look on Youtube for a video of what you are trying to do.

3. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

When I machine appliqué I use Heat'n Bond Lite and if it's large pieces I trim the shape to approx ¼ " window frame before I fuse it down. Once the shape is fused to the backing I pin a stabilizer to the back and start my stitching. I use regular paper or newsprint as my stabilizer because that's what I have, but you can purchase one as well.
    I'm not sure if the heavy duty wonder under is the kind you are able to stitch through, does it say anything on it's packaging?

5. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree to use a lighter weight, Featherweight H&B. Heavyweight is for crafts. Do you have a blanket stitch on your machine? You might like it better.

Lorie

7. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You will be able to tell if you need stabilizer under the background fabric if you get tunneling along the edges.

I have to agree with the warnings that you may not be able to sew through the heavy wonder under. You may not need to though...it may be enough to permanently fuse it.
    Cathryn

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, they were exactly what I needed. I might have gone a little overboard with the heavy duty Wonder Under I just wanted to make sure they stayed put!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you try to stitch around your applique when using the heavy duty wonder under your needle will gum up. That is the voice of experience. You can stitch it but have plenty of alcohol pads to clean your needle and be patient. I like to use the nylon clear thread when stitching applique. I put the zig-zag at 1 and 1 and have a very small stitch. If I use contrasting thread to make the applique show off, I like to use the blanket stitch. Stick with the lite weight and it will serve you well.

12. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post