Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default How did this happen?

So I finished piecing the quilt from he**... It has 1,575 2.5" squares. Ugh. I used Quilt Smart (2.5" grid iron-on interfacing) and had no problems putting the pieces together (I had to use 14 grids). Fast forward to borders... I measure edge, middle, edge. The top and middle are the same, but the bottom was almost 3" off! How?? I didn't have issues getting the rows lined up top to bottom... AND when I fold the bottom up to the top, the seams of the squares pretty much match. By pretty much, I mean that if one seam is a hair off, the next one lines right back up - all the way across the quilt. So how is it that I have such a big difference in measuring? I thought maybe it was fat-finger in measuring, so I just cut the border to the measurement of the 2 that matched. Nope. I had a chunk left over! I ripped it and then put the border on the feed dogs and gave the top some not-so-gentle encouraging and got it within about 1/2", but still... AND all my measurements for the side borders came out fine.

What the heck??

Here's a pre-border photo for reference...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	123706  
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

2. Thanks ratherhaverain thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How did this happen?

umm, I don't see a thing except it needs to be ironed. It's very cool and sewing that many pieces makes you a hero in my book. I would never attempt that!

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It got a good all-over pressing after the borders today. My son loves it, which is the only saving grace of this one. My hubby, who never says anything about my quilting process, kept saying "I don't think you like this pattern very much..."
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is too cool!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like it came out great. I know someone who would love this. We are our own worst critic. You did a great job!
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

7. Thanks Kajenkids thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It looks awesome! And your son loves it.

I did something similar a few years ago after watching Eleanor Burns do a cross hatch pattern. I used 1" grid fusible. Never again! It started out bigger than my six foot dining table and ended up a decent size wall hanging. The seams were really thick and it was a pain getting them to lay flat. Also, my machine got gunky from sewing through so much fusible. Never again. I get a lot of complements on it and have been asked if I would make another one - never again! But it was a learning experience - never again!
    Vonnie

9. Thanks Kajenkids thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    It looks awesome! And your son loves it.

I did something similar a few years ago after watching Eleanor Burns do a cross hatch pattern. I used 1" grid fusible. Never again! It started out bigger than my six foot dining table and ended up a decent size wall hanging. The seams were really thick and it was a pain getting them to lay flat. Also, my machine got gunky from sewing through so much fusible. Never again. I get a lot of complements on it and have been asked if I would make another one - never again! But it was a learning experience - never again!
    I meant to say Cross Stitch pattern not Cross Hatch! LOL Hadn't had my first cup of tea yet!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That turned out great and now you can add that pattern to your "Never Again List".

12. Thanks Kajenkids thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! And a lot of work. Great job.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kathe. You do not make easy quilts, do you?
    Your son loves it - nuff said.