Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reading Recs for 2016

I love to read - but mostly do it on CD. Listened at work, in the car, etc. I really enjoyed the "Father Tim - Mitford" series by Jan Karon - touching. I started to listen to some of the books we were "forced" to read back in high school. My Antonia (by Willa Cather) , The Good Earth (Pearl S Buck) totally enjoyed them this time around. Janet Evanovich series - for a good laugh. Many others already listed - There are so many fantastic series, books out there. Like another person, if I sit down to actually read a book, I'm asleep in no time - Listening on CD - I can sew, cook, whatever and still "read".

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I love this thread....I love reading almost as much as I love my gkids - LOL.

I was always an avid reader, but about 25 years ago I got progressive lenses. I found that I could only read for short periods of time before my eyes got tired and watery. So little by little I gave up reading. And then came the KINDLE. My son works for a bus company and someone left their Kindle on a bus one day. He tried and tried to get in touch with the person, but finally his manager told him to just keep it. So I ask him if I could give it a try.....WOW - I could read again.
    I'm on my 4th Kindle now - a Kindle Fire.....and I'm reading 2 or more books a week.....heck I've got 25 years of reading to catch up on.

I usually head to bed between 7 and 9 and, curl up with my Kindle and read until at least 10 or 11.....sometimes longer. And I alway download my books to my Kindle, my phone and my laptop....they are all synced so that no matter which one I happen to be using...Im always on the page I last left off on.

I love mysteries and am going to go back over this thread and make lists of all the books you've all recommended.......I am so excited!!!!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I am reading "Make Me" By Lee Childs, Great Jack Reacher story. I maybe at the point of the story ready to Pop.
    Happy Quilting
    Daniela

http://pinkquotidian.blogspot.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you all for these recommendations, I really want to get back to reading more now that I'm retired. I am sick of TV except for a couple of shows on Netflix.
    I especially appreciate finding out about the Good Reads site. I just signed up & I think it's going to be very helpful finding new authors to read.
    In line with my efforts to downsize & simplify I think I'll, take a trip to the library today & look for some new books.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When the Kindles and Nooks came out I thought I'd never like them. I am old school I guess - I would rather go to a movie theater and I like holding a book and turning pages. But, I got a little tablet a while back and loaded the Kindle app onto it. At first it was really different and awkward, but I am so used to reading on it now. I even loaded the Kindle app onto my smart phone and read using that! It's so convenient - it holds a zillion books, books are easy to find and download, I can even check out ebooks from my library! That's what really sold me.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    So Mary.....did you like The Goldfinch? I've been curious about that one.
    Yes I did!

7. Thanks snippet thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My most recent read was Career of Evil, I like it but Cuckoo's Calling was definitely the strongest of the three, Silkworm was fascinating too but a bit gruesome for me... All 3 of these are mysteries set in London, written by Robert Galbraith, which is actually JK Rowling.

That was my light read as we travelled home for our winter break, in mid-October I was challenged to read Gone With the Wind by my friends in Atlanta, and I finished it up on Nov. 30th while my husband was having his appendix removed. I loved it, but at times it felt like I was running a reading marathon!

I've been reading more in the past 2 years, trying to keep up with a book club at home, even though I only get to meet them once or twice a year. The House we Grew Up In was interesting, as was The Husband's Secret. I also retread a lot of classics, David Copperfield is on my 2016 list, for the third year running. It is the only Dickens I haven't read, and I hope to revisit Sense and Sensibility, it's been about 5 years since I read Pride and Prejudice, and I've been sluggishly reading my way through Prisoner of Azkaban, which is the current Potter book that I have in rotation, as there is always a Potter book in rotation.

I have also read all of the Elm Creek and Mitford books, and loved them. Jan Karon recently published s new Mitford book, I will buy the book next month, I looked at the hard cover and at $20 And the thought of lugging it through the airports, I decided to hold off.

We're back in Kazakhstan again, regrouping from our travels. For logistical reasons, I only read on my kindle or iBooks. I prefer my kindle though, it is more comfortable in my hand than the full sized iPad.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I read quite a lot of good books last year. I prefer books with a little suspense and mystery. Beatriz Williams has written several books and I have read "Secret Life of Violet Grant" (favorite) and "A Hundred Summers". Also, the quilting mystery series by Elizabeth Craig and also the series by Mary Marks. I've read all books written by David Baldachin, Nelson DeMille and most of Jeffrey Archer. Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown and Marry Higgins Clark are also very good thrillers. For a quick mystery read, I also enjoy Joann Fluke and Diane Mott Davidson (both have recipes in them), and Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series) and Sue Grafton (the alphabet mystery series), and Stuart Woods (Stone Barrington series). As you can see, I read a lot but still find time for quilting and sewing. Darn, I forgot the housecleaning again!!!

10. Thanks Jean Marie thanked for this post