Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't want to stir up trouble, but...

I'm concerned...

The last couple of Quilty videos have bern disappointing... Not because of the content, but because Mary Fons seems to have developed an attitude...maybe things aren't going well for her... I don't know... But I don't like it... She has become a little condescending

I was looking at JRR quilts on Pinterest, and found this.... I'm sorry, but I thought Mary was simply rude.... You could tell that she thought this quilt was beneath herbecause she prefers to make blocks...and making blocks is better than seeing strips together...more creative... She was just snarky... Always emphasizing that all you were doing was seeing, sewing, sewing long strips together.... I'm not even sure she actually made the quilt top she displayed...because she was sewing the strips together wrong...

Sorry if I've upset anyone.., just had to rant a little... I've enjoyed do many Quilty videos, but I'm not happy with the attitude displayed in the last couple or so... Mary just doesn't look happy...

Here's the uTube link... Have I over reacted.., wouidn't be the first time...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PTtGBF_4fg

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't want to stir up trouble, but...

I would have to agree that her tone seems a bit condescending. Maybe she didn't mean to come across that way, bit I get that vibe from a lot of her videos. I guess I am spoiled to Jenny!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, maybe it's an ingrained F&P "thang". Also maybe why the Quilty Magazine is no longer and followed by the store in Iowa!

Snarky begets snarky, I guess.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

You stirrer, you!

I have never enjoyed any of her quilting videos. They seem very laboured to me - as though she thinks I wont be able to 'catch on'.

I guess we've been spoilt by Jenny's videos, which are often a hoot, as well as with being very informative.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that she was condescending, but wonder why she felt the need to do a tutorial for something she obviously didn't like. I think her disdain was showing through.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Karen. Why even do the tut....not to mention her method of sewing the strips together seem back asswards to me. I was taught to sew from the other end, and sew from top left to bottom right, and then she wouldn't have all of that to the right of her.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually follow her. In the beginning, she seemed to be very nervous and quirky so I couldn't watch for any length of time. Then one day I saw that many were inquiring if she had passed away. Of course, she hadn't but I learned of her very serious and debilitating health issues that nearly took her life. She has suffered for years. Unfortunately, she must cope for the rest of her life.

I was also surprised to learn that she was very active in the Chicago Theater. Mary Fons | Chicago Theater Beat

She is actually quite a talented girl. After reading of all her devastating health issues and her spunk and determination to beat the odds, I was saddened to hear that her marriage broke up as well. That may have been the last straw for a lot of people, but she kept going. So even though I'm not a fan of the Quilty program, I feel much more compassion and understanding of her than I did when I first watched her.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I don't know that she was condescending, but wonder why she felt the need to do a tutorial for something she obviously didn't like. I think her disdain was showing through.
    I agree with this, too. I don't often watch her tutorials, but you should do something fun. There are so many other things for her to do that she enjoys. That's one of the reasons I like Jenny's and Robs tutorials, they have fun.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't watch the video, so no comment on that. I do seem to remember hearing/reading that she was going to go back to her first love, writing, and wouldn't be involved with the quilting much anymore. Maybe she is burnt out and has to fulfill her obligations, but her heart is not in it? I agree if you don't love it - why do a tutorial?
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I look at it like she gave her reasons why she does not care for the race quilt. She does have a quirky personality and that offends some. My youngest would leave the room anytime I was watching an Eleanor Burns video. He can't stand her voice. I happen to agree with her about some of her opinions about the race quilt. I also feel the need to press after sewing each seam.

If someone had never done a race quilt before and were thinking about it, watching her video might sway them one way or another. One of the things I really don't like about the race quilt is the cutting. When you are near to finishing, there are some pretty long cuts that you need to have nice and even.
    Vonnie