Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't want to stir up trouble, but...

Quote Originally Posted by easyquilts View Post
    I actually chuckled out loud... Just what I needed.... Thanks!
    GOOD.... I just knew you would.......... I did too. Keep smiling.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I stayed out of this because I didn't see anything wrong with it at all. I just watched it again and still didn't see anything wrong.The video was called 'Tips for a Jelly Roll Race Quilt'. Reasons you may not want to take it on first thing. It wasn't a tutorial to me. I like Mary, she's funny.

I like Mary, too. She's smart, funny....and her wardrobe is amazing.... I just did not like the elitist, disdainful way she treated the subject of her video... I thought it was unnecessary.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

3. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many tutorials that we can each pick & choose. I, personally, don't like to see a man doing a tutorial--there, I have said it. ) They seem sort of clumsy or something. I would choose Mary over a man any day. Each to their own, right?

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

This thread was interesting. I didnt' read each and every post but a lot of opinons were expressed!

I did watch the video and felt Mary was very negative. I would have liked a tute without her personal predjudice. when I do a tutorial I only address what I am teaching and not how I feel about the subject. But each to their own and it was interesting to watch the video.

I was glad when Mary joined her mother to keep the show going when Liz left the show. I'm not a huge fan but do like to watch F & P from time to time. Reruns of course. I wasn't aware Mary had done tutorials on her own.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think QUILTY has been going for several years.... I was glad to see Mary join her mom, too... They work well together.... I no longer have cable, so I never get to see the show...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I saw things differently.

What I saw was her speaking the the very beginner and saying that it might not be the best choice because it is easy to get confused. She didn't say she doesn't like it, she said it might not be the best for a first timer. I agree with that. Sewing pieces end to end can get frustrating with 1600" if you are not careful of which direction you are sewing two pieces together. One could end up upside down or the 45° angle going to wrong way. Or sewing long strips together to find out things are all twisted.

She was showing what can happen. The video was not to show alternative patterns. Only to show this might not be the best choice for a newbie.

I don't always like all of someone's videos. I don't have to. Sometimes I even get bored watching Jenny sewing pieces together. Watching a four patch sewn once is okay but 3 times and I want to stop watching. Depends on the final outcome, if something can be acheived that is different from what I expected, etc. All videos are not supposed to be for everyone. They are for different levels, styles, different personalities. I give kudos to all of the sewing/quilting divas/dudes.

I like Rob because he is different. He has ideas that no one else has. He doesn't do the same 4-patch, 9-patch, flying geese, Missouri star or whatever it is officially called, half-square triangles, etc. He doesn't use a ton of busy fabrics together. He's more modern. I like that.

I like how Jenny makes things easy.

I like Leah Day for giving me hope on free motion quilting.

I like the crafty gemini for all the different, non-quilting things.

I like the English lady who does a bunch of things with charm squares.

There is something for everyone. I wouldn't bad-mouth any of them. They all have set out to help people be creative and they have all succeeded. I worship no one. I just take it for what it is.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dottikins View Post
    Isn't it wonderful that there are so many tutorials that we can each pick & choose. I, personally, don't like to see a man doing a tutorial--there, I have said it. ) They seem sort of clumsy or something. I would choose Mary over a man any day. Each to their own, right?
    I'd rather have a man do the tutes. I can do without all the "adorable" and side chit chat of a lot of presenters. The ones that also sell, I can understand the sales pitch, but I'm still not interested. I'm more interested in WHY than HOW.

I've read too many car, computer and cell phone manuals, I guess. I'd love to hear a rap tute.

Tried watching some Accuquilt tutorials and wound up turning off the sound.

I've had the experience of both man and woman doing the tutorial for Masterworks. While both were experts, I understood John Deere better. It was more technical.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can do without all the "adorable"
    I agree. The cutsie stuff drives me nuts. Makes me wonder where the grown-ups went. And I would really rather read the book than watch the movie.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the video, then read her blogs about her health issues. The health issues were horrendous. My impression was that the video was done when she wasn't feeling very well. The content of the video didn't really affect me one way or the other. I've never done a JRR, but I think she had a point that although it seems super easy, you could get tripped up along the way. Something really DID annoy me, though, and that was the multiple ads at the beginning and end of the video. I'm fine with touting a product within a video (for example, in the one about the Improv Tote the foam was recommended). However, I came away from the JRR Tips video feeling like it was just a bit of filler between all of the ads! I find it interesting that we all have had such different reactions to the same video. As someone else said, this is just a conversation. JMHO.

Marci

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozziepuppy View Post
    I watched the video, then read her blogs about her health issues. The health issues were horrendous. My impression was that the video was done when she wasn't feeling very well. The content of the video didn't really affect me one way or the other. .
    I think Mary seemed more "distracted/pained" than anything. When I watch these videos I "speed watch". All I am looking for is the info and I try to ignore anything else. I am not interested in watching someone sew the "perfect 1/4 inch seam"! I did watch this the whole way through. Watching videos "chews up" too many Inet$'s!

Cheers Jan