Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default The nerve of some people!

My recent phone conversation:
    "Hello"
    "Beth, this is M.P. How have you been? I have not seen or talked to you in ages! "
    This is a former co-teacher of mine from almost 15 years ago who I have not seen in for about 5 yrs or so.
    "I'm fine, how are you and yours?'
    "We are doing great, I just wanted to tell you how much I have admired your quilting. I saw the quilt you made for Dawn the other day and it is lovely."
    Now I know there is something up.
    "Why thank you M."
    "I was wondering, if you would be willing to teach me to quilt."
    "Sure, I enjoy passing along my knowledge, you know once a teacher, always a teacher."
    "If I could make a quilt like Dawns to give to my GD for her second birthday coming up in Jan. I would be thrilled."
    "I think I can help you make something similar."
    "When do you think you could get out here? You do know I have retired and am living out by the lake now?"
    "I guess you have not heard, I am visually impaired and can not drive, you would have to come into town and work here."
    "Oh.....well, I will have to get back to you then, not sure when I could get an entire day open. Well, Merry Christmas to you and your family, I will be getting back to you."
    "Merry Christmas to you also."
    "Bye"

That was it. I just don't know what to think. That is pretty much the entire conversation I really have a feeling I will not hear from her again.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The nerve of some people!

Beth, my takeaway from this conversation is that you are a kind and giving person, and I bet you were a great teacher. And it is probably for the best that you haven't heard from this woman (no lady for sure) for 5 years. Here's to another 5 years of silence. At least.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the best thing for you is to not hear from her again about teaching her to quilt!
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll ditto what Midge said. When she didn't say anything about your sight or driving I was thinking that's not a true friend.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Haha. Good one! Let's see if I got this straight--she wants you to come to her house, and teach her how to quilt, and she needs to finish this by next month?? Does she even sew at all? Oh and she probably needs you to bring your sewing machine along (and of course it wouldn't inconvenience you to leave it there for her to use until the quilt is finished)--oh and could you also bring over your rotary cutter and mat, some thread, material and batting while you're at it! Oh and pins, wonder clips, marking pens, stencils, rulers... Gee I hope she has her own ironing board and iron! She does have a lot of nerve! Does she think she can whip this up in a day. Some friends you are better off without. They are called users.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

She's retired, but not sure when she can get an entire day opened - BUT - it is just fine for you to take a whole day (and we know it would require more than one day) to come out to her place. I taught a friend how to make a jelly roll quilt - a very simple project. It took 3 sessions together. First was to buy a jelly roll and make the top. Second was to buy the backing, cut and piece it, baste and show her how to straight stitch quilt it. Third was to make the binding and bind it. Even more time would be needed if yardage had to be cut and sewn into pieced blocks.

There is a saying that the less you know about something, the easier it seems to do. I think in your "friend's" situation, this applies. If she does call again, you may want to suggest some online tutorials for her to watch so she gets an idea of what is involved.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; December 23rd, 2015 at 06:08 PM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

People that want you to help on their schedule are very seldom worth helping because they don't want to be put out at all, yet it is fine for you to rearrange everything in order to accommodate them.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm.... If she is visually impaired, then how could she really admire your quilt? It sounds to me like she wants to commission one instead of being taught. If she really wanted to learn, she would never have brought up the visually impaired comment. The nerve.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    Hmmmm.... If she is visually impaired, then how could she really admire your quilt? It sounds to me like she wants to commission one instead of being taught. If she really wanted to learn, she would never have brought up the visually impaired comment. The nerve.
    I believe that it's our friend Asta/Beth who is visually impaired, not her "friend" (M.P.) who wanted to be taught.

And Asta, I think you were about to be heavily taken advantage of. Let's hope she doesn't call back!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can cross her off your list asta. She's naughty not nice.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique