Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The nerve of some people!

Sounds like she got very awkward and didn't know what to do once she found out you couldn't see her lake house. She may not be a user, she just may have thought of the quilting as a way to reestablish contact and invite another person to ooh and ahh over her lake house. I wouldn't bother about it, she left you feeling very unimportant. If she really wants to learn to quilt and wants a valued friendship, she'd try again with your needs in mind. I'm in much the same position, if someone wants me they have to come to me, it really shows people's true character when your physical limitations inconvenience THEM. Probably good they don't actually have those limitations themself, they'd never be able to cope, lol!

Hugs darling, you're worth more than her time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What an amazing person you are to have even said you would help her. With the holidays and your own things to do, you were willing to give some of that time to her. It is sad she even had the nerve (as you said) to ask. I am sad for her. And I prayer I will always have fiends like you in my life. Although true friends would have never made that request.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've was in a similar situation. A friend of mine wanted to make a t-shirt quilt with her son's t-shirts . I have never made one and I told her that I still consider myself a beginner quilter and felt more comfortable working with plain old cotton. There is a local shop here that from time to time has a class in t-shirt quilts. I told her about the class and have never heard from her again. I don't mind sharing my time and limited knowledge with someone, but I could tell from the look on her face that was not the answer she wanted. She wanted me to make it for her.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry ,no one should be put in this position. I am always amazed at people who think you owe them something. I always tell people who want me to quilt quilts I don't do that if I had time to do yours I would have time to do mine lol . solves the problem every time

5. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that raised a red flag for me was the fact that she could schedule a day for you to come to her ... but would have to find the time to spend a day and come to your house. Could it have been that she was taken aback by the news concerning your eyesight? Sometimes people just don't know what to say or how to respond.

I'm happy that she recognized your talent and admired the quilt you made. I'd take that as a compliment.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post
    The thing that raised a red flag for me was the fact that she could schedule a day for you to come to her ... but would have to find the time to spend a day and come to your house. Could it have been that she was taken aback by the news concerning your eyesight? Sometimes people just don't know what to say or how to respond.

I'm happy that she recognized your talent and admired the quilt you made. I'd take that as a compliment.
    Judy,

That is an amazing take on things. Maybe I gave the woman a bad rap. Maybe if she didn't know about your eyesight she was taken a back and didn't know how to react.

Thanks for putting a much better spin on this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If people really want to learn how to quilt, they need to be willing to sign up for a beginning quilting class at their LQS, or watch tutorials on line, & buy all the equipment & supplies needed, etc. There are just too many "takers" out there who want things handed out to them & take advantage of other people. I hope this woman never calls you back. She is not your friend.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love Judy's input here. You never know what people are dealing with behind the scenes. Maybe there are other health or family issues for her that we don't know about & that keep her somewhat tied to home. Or maybe she's really as selfish as she sounds! We don't know, but giving someone the benefit of the doubt is generally a good strategy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Haha. Good one! Let's see if I got this straight--she wants you to come to her house, and teach her how to quilt, and she needs to finish this by next month?? Does she even sew at all? Oh and she probably needs you to bring your sewing machine along (and of course it wouldn't inconvenience you to leave it there for her to use until the quilt is finished)--oh and could you also bring over your rotary cutter and mat, some thread, material and batting while you're at it! Oh and pins, wonder clips, marking pens, stencils, rulers... Gee I hope she has her own ironing board and iron! She does have a lot of nerve! Does she think she can whip this up in a day. Some friends you are better off without. They are called users.
    this is like déjà vu for me! A friend woke up at 2 am, dreamed up a quilt she wanted to make for her daughter's birthday in a week and a half, wanted me to embroider blocks, wanted my scraps of batting to use and wanted me to quilt it. This was 4 days before I left for vacation, with very few of my own Christmas products completed! I told her that I wouldn't quilt it for her as quilters have to PAY together their quilts quilted, either money to have someone do it or with the pain and agony of quilting it herself!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can translate and it goes like this: "Hi, I saw a quilt you made so I decided to call & see if I could get you to make one for my granddaughter whose birthday is next month!"

Marci