Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I did it.

Earlier this year I traded sewing machines and upgraded to a Janome MC 6600 P. I've had health issues and so my stitching has been limited. I have just used my Featherweight because I know it and didn't have to work with a learning curve.

So I started working on a new project and have to make 164 half-square triangles so I thought, sit down at the new machine and crank them out. The thread started breaking about every two inches of sewing, which is frustrating to say the least. I resisted the urge to jump back on the Featherweight, wondering why I had upgraded. I pulled out a new spool of thread but that didn't help, so I got the book out and made sure I had it threaded correctly. I checked the bobbin and the bobbin was in correctly, but I changed to a different bobbin.

My old Janome had Automatic tension adjustment so I have never had to adjust tension (Bob Kelly set the tension on my Featherweight when he serviced it for me when I bought it and I don't touch it). Well according to my owners manual the tension was the only thing left to tackle. I thought about getting up this morning and taking the machine back to the store I bought it from and asking him to adjust it, but it is a 45 mile drive to get to him.

So I started adjusting the upper tension and finally got it set correctly. I then went on to sew 57 of the 82 five inch blocks to prepare them for cutting into the half-square triangles.

I loved my Auto setting for tension, but I think I'm going to love the many extra features on the new machine now that I have tackled the tension.
    Last edited by BobW; December 22nd, 2015 at 11:30 AM.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I did it.

Wow. I don't think I'm smart enough to anything with the tension.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Bob, good for you! Bet that knee lever and auto thread cutter is gonna be nice.......nice machine. Glad you're feeling better. I wondered where you've been.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new Janome. I hope you get many happy and healthy years of sewing on it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you post pics of your gazillion HSTs!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sending you a pat on the back! Isn't it a great feeling to get the machine sewing smoothly?

Did you ever finish the quilts you were working on at the Forum Retreat? Would love to see pictures if possible, I bet they are gorgeous.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asta View Post
    Sending you a pat on the back! Isn't it a great feeling to get the machine sewing smoothly?

Did you ever finish the quilts you were working on at the Forum Retreat? Would love to see pictures if possible, I bet they are gorgeous.
    I've got some more done on them, but I haven't gotten anywhere near finished with them. It seems like things just settle down and then blow up again. I'm going in Thursday morning for hopefully the last surgery in a while. This is a small one and done as an outpatient. And then hopefully I can get back to stitching all the time.

But I don't think anything will compare with the quilts you guys were working on with the flannel. I had to add another quilt to my bucket list. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, sorry to hear you have still been feeling sick. Hope that going to the new year's retreat and starting this new project on the new machine means you have turned the corner for good! I get you with this story. It might be a minor thing or meaningless to some, but it makes me feel so good when I master an issue with using my new Juki. I know just how you feel. And definitely do show us the pile o' half square triangles.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it running well for you. Tension issues cause tension headaches for the sewist!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you have your tension issues figured out now. The Janome 6600 is a great machine, I've had mine for 2 years now and I love it. There's a Janome group on Facebook that many of the members have the 6600, it's a group for the Janome Memorycraft users it includes the Janome 6300, 6500, 7700, 8200, 8900, etc. Your welcome to join, there's also a group for Janome users on Yahoo.

Phyllis