Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Share a memory of Christmas past.....

I always ruminate this time of year. All the changes, for better or worse; the life battles we've won, the one's we're still in and those we know for sure we lost; the people who have come and gone in our lives; the changes our kids have gone through.....the whole gamut.

One of the best things I love to do, is while I looking at our Christmas tree......remember all the things from the past holidays. The one that 'hit' me this year was the first tree I ever had with my hubby. He was struggling with family issues and just didn't want to be bothered with any of it. I was having none of it, and decided to just do it without him helping. So I bought a tree, decorated it with pinecones (dabbed with white paint for the 'snow'), little handmade birds (just brown and white), some gold colored angels blowing trumpets and small burgundy velvet bows. And on the top (as always now) rests an Old World Santa. It was a humble tree but my word it was beautiful. Somehow, this small thing had a great impact on DH and for the first time in quite a few years he actually enjoyed Christmas again. (This last part I didn't know until last night when we were talking about it.)
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Share a memory of Christmas past.....

All our kids are grown & moved out of state. This year we are visiting our son & DIL in Arizona to share their first Christmas as a married couple. It's so much fun to reminisce about Christmas Past & see the new traditions they are creating for themselves. Looking at all the special ornaments on their tree, some from years ago that used to be on our tree at home, some that my DS actually made himself 25 years ago, some they purchased for the special significance to them. Each year now I buy a special ornament for each DS & DIL.
    We are baking cookies today & going to the movies. Making a list of must watch movies for Christmas Day too, all the old favorites we had when the boys were growing up (national lampoon Christmas vacation & the Christmas story are the biggies) This is what life is all about for me, good times spent with the people we love.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite memory is from childhood when I was about 12 years old. As a family, we left the house late Christmas Eve to go to midnight mass. When we returned home, we discovered that Santa had already visited and left presents under the tree. Now, I was old enough to know the truth about Santa, but this really befuddled me. I can't remember when I learned what happened, but, as we got into the car to go to church, my father "remembered" that he left his gloves in the house and went back to get them. And while we all waited in the car, dad put those presents under the tree.

I thought this was so great, that I tried it with my own children. My daughter, who is a STICKLER for tradition, was not impressed. She insisted we go to bed and wait until Christmas morning to open presents - like we always did. She would not hear of opening even one present when Santa arrived early at our house.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's the "little things" made and given with love that impact us the most. This is the time to think back, if it's not too painful, if it is, look ahead and always look up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So many fun years but one of my favorite things was putting out "Santa" at our neighbors when they went to Mass on Christmas eve. Their packages were in our basement for weeks, loved keeping those secrets. Now the kids are 15, 17, and 19 but we still go next door Christmas Eve for snacks and to see them open their presents.
    This year will be new for us, our grands will be here and at least the oldest knows what presents are and is excited about Christmas. It will be loads of fun.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom's been gone 7 years now but one of my best Christmas memories of her was each Christmas season when I was small she sang Oh Holy Night to me. She was gifted with a beautiful voice and played the piano. Each year when I hear Oh Holy Night played it brings a tear to my eye.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Christmas memory comes just after Thanksgiving when I decorate the tree. I have some of my dear GF tree ornaments from who knows what year. As I hang them up I remember his house at Christmas, the 3 candle window decoration, the fresh pine scent of the tree my uncle brought from Michigan, and peanut brittle. I remember the year my father sprayed shaving cream on the Christmas tree branches for snow. Then the best one was the year the Christmas tree stand broke several days before Christmas. My mother uttered a profanity, told me to hold the%@&# thing up, while she went outside. She came back with half a concrete block. I helped her stuff the tree trunk into one of the holes , a chunk of wood to fill the excess space and the tree was upright again. We never got another tree stand. Just used the concrete block and the wedge of wood. Memories from long ago. Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite members, is mine and Michael's first Christmas. We had no money, but he wanted a big tree, how I would I decorate a tree like that with no money to buy ornaments? So I went looking, and found a bunch of lace, I had hot glue and beads so I picked up some ribbon and cut and made lace stars, angels , snowflakes, wreaths and bows. My mom gave us the star, I picked out when I was a child, it was like a 3D ,wire wrapped in lights and through out all the points. It was magical evrtytime you turned it on. I still have it, it needs to be rewired, I really want it fixed to use again.
    I still think that was the prettiest tree we ever had. Made with alot of love just like us. We've alwAys said we may not have everything but we've been blessed with a lot of love. S o Christmas always reminds me of how blessed we are. Merry Christmas to you all.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I managed to get three Cabbage Patch dolls the year they were so popular for my daughter and two nieces. Christmas day my father took each girl into his "office" and had them officially adopted their dolls. All these years later the "girls", now grown women with children, talk about Grampa putting on his glasses and having them sign that paper.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

When I was growing up my dad raised my two brothers and I. He took us shopping to get Christmas ornaments and lights. Now I have my own home with my boyfriend and my dad gave me those ornaments that is over ten years old on my Christmas tree. And this year my dad will be staying with us on Christmas eve! I am so beyond excited to make Christmas cookies with my dad like when I was little. I hope all you ladies have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! If you guys ever need anything please let me know! -Courtney