• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Plentziana
    Binding Belle
    • Nov 2013

What Happens to our gifts?

This is a question that think we all ask at some time and specially at this time we do gifts made for us with so much love, l´ll tell you a story that happened to me yesterday, I had to buy wadding for some bibs have to do and I went to the only haberdashery my town dedicated to patchwork (we have tree) as also sells wool, teaches point,there I met tree students, two women and one man, one woman was a girl whom I´ve known for years and when I left want them they get it all right then, the girl I wonder if I continue knitting, I said no now to patchwork and said something that surprised me and pleased "Pity whith things so precious that did, I still keep the little jackets that give away my DD when I was born"That was a phrase that left me a little surprised because his DD already has about 25 years, but it made me happy that there are people who know appreciate the efford of the things handmade with love, so we hope that our gifts are received with the some love we put into them
  • Sylvia H
    Missouri Star
    • May 2014

Re: What Happens to our gifts?

That is so true. Often it is the people who also make handmade items that appreciate them the most.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Bubby
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2011

Situations like this warm my heart, but it can go in the opposite direction where there is little or no appreciation for beautiful handmade gifts. I try to give things with an open hand, giving for the sake of giving and expecting nothing in return.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

Some people are more sentimental than others. My girls still have the toys I made for them and I have saved nearly every card Iv'e gotten. I have a book about making crafts from old cards and I told her use mine. She started reading them and couldn't do it even though they weren't her's. I thought that was sweet.

Funny story. I made a quilt for my first dd and when second one came along she took it over, dragged it all over. She never knew I didn't make it for her until my stepdd opeded her big mouth twenty yrs later. I'm still mad abiut that. lol
        Last edited by Hulamoon; December 16, 2015, 03:40 PM.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Vonnie
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2013

About 1 1/2 years ago, I made a rag quilt for one of my son's friends who he has known for about 10 years. I made it for his 23rd birthday. Well, last summer he was homeless for about 2 weeks and asked if he could stay in our guest room. He replaced the quilt on the guest bed with his rag quilt. Even tho he was homeless, he managed to still have his quilt. This is the one where I used 3 Safari Minkee layer cakes. And he was the perfect house guest. I'm making a pillow for him for Christmas made from similar fabrics to match his quilt.

There are a lot of times where we don't hear back about our quilted gifts or we hear how badly they treat it. They are the ones that don't get a second gift. But the ones that we know love our gifts - they often get more gifts from us.
          Vonnie

Comment

• Sandy Navas
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2010

What a heart-warming story. Thanks so much for sharing. One wonderful comment from a recipient of one of our craft items makes every effort to create worth it.
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• GuitarGramma
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2012

You know, during the winter I still use the crocheted blanket that DH's Aunt made for our wedding. With Aunty long gone, just last month I asked DH if he thinks that up in heaven, she knows that her blanket is still used with love to this day.
              Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• jjkaiser
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

I am planning on making a wedding quilt for my nephew next year. I just know his sister will make a big deal why didn't I make her one when she got married. Not sure how I will handle it when the time comes. But in truth she is a terrible slob, hardly ever cleans her house and doesn't take care of ANYTHING!, She would probably let her dogs sleep on it on the floor or leave it outside in the rain or something. She's just careless and lazy about everything she has.
                Jocelyn
                South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• SallyO'Sews
                  Missouri Star
                  • Nov 2012

What a lovely story Plentziana! How gratifying to know that your love and talent is so appreciated and remembered. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

• Carolnnc
                    The Guild President
                    • Oct 2015

I have struggled with making my baby brother (okay, he's 51) a quilt. He has never married or had kids but he has 4 beagles. I just kept thinking about the dogs scratching and digging at the quilt. I finally realized he loves those dogs like kids. I would give someone who had kids a quilt without a thought! So he gets a quilt to share with the dogs
                    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

• ceiliam
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2014

I had warm thoughts about this post. It made me think of about 10 years I made a quilt for my brother, not knowing how he would react . he is one of those people who are hard to read, however his kids told me if they use his quilt he comes and gets it back and tells them its his quilt use something else. Warmed my heart.

Comment

• TMP
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2014

My mom gave my daughter a quilt she had hand made. Its nothing fancy, made from scraps . It is one of my daughters priced possessions. This quilt was dragged to slumber parties, taken on school trips, went to college with her, (I think it even went on her honeymoon with her), taken into the delivery room when she had both babies . I saw it the other day on her couch and its coming apart. When mom passed away we almost caused a family feud because all she wanted was a quilt mom had made that she used herself. I did get the quilt for her but she has put it away and doesn't use it and at 38 she still drags around the one mom made her when she was 12.
                        Teresa
                        Pelham, Alabama
                        War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Vonnie
                          Missouri Star
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Carolnnc View Post
                          I have struggled with making my baby brother (okay, he's 51) a quilt. He has never married or had kids but he has 4 beagles. I just kept thinking about the dogs scratching and digging at the quilt. I finally realized he loves those dogs like kids. I would give someone who had kids a quilt without a thought! So he gets a quilt to share with the dogs

How about a jean quilt with minkee backing - no batting. It would be very pet friendly. You could ask him for his old jeans. I made a small one of these for traveling and it has gotten dirty and washed several times and has held up very well.
                          Vonnie

Comment

• Carolnnc
                            The Guild President
                            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                            How about a jean quilt with minkee backing - no batting. It would be very pet friendly. You could ask him for his old jeans. I made a small one of these for traveling and it has gotten dirty and washed several times and has held up very well.
                            Thanks Vonnie! About 15 years ago he gave me a huge bag of those purple bags that Crown Royal came in and they would be perfect for the back with maybe jeans or flannel for the front. I put them in a trunk and totally forgot about them. Now I wonder who drank all that Crown Royal
                            :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

• Sheep Farmer
                              Missouri Star
                              • Nov 2014

Such a warm and wonderful story.
                              Thank you for sharing.
                              It's nice to hear that some people do cherish the gifts they receive.
                              I have a hand knitted baby blanket that a friend made for my son 35 years ago.
                              Just last night I was folding it up to place it back in the linen closet ... yes I still use it to throw over my lap.
                              My son just got engaged, so when he has his first child, I will give him this blanket and tell him the story behind it.
                              Hopefully, it'll be appreciated for many generations to come.
                              I also am trying to find the person who made it 35 years ago (I've been searching Facebook).
                              I want her to know that it is still cherished.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                              The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Working...
                              X