Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 12/15/15, Ho Ho Ho, Sew, Sew Sew

Anita, it was my leader/ender project that pulled me away from my Christmas table runner. Rebecca, I am sure you will be able to get those quilts finished before the weddings. Pam, that quilt top looks great, can't wait to see the rest. And boo to new computers. I am still trying to figure things out with my Chromebook. Splinter, sounds like you are going to have a great vacation break.

Cathy, you are being very busy and productive. Juliet, lovely fabrics for your friend's baby gifts. Altairss, I am so sorry about all the bad events and I hope they have come to an end.

I went a bit crazy with my leader/ender project, and went ahead to finish the quilt center. I want it to be wider, so I will have to add borders to the sides. And, now, I have another UFO to complete next year! Although there were few requirements to the leader/ender project, I decided I would use nothing but scraps from previous projects. So, when I ran out of light colored scraps, I had to end the tumbler part of the project. I will be thinking for awhile on how I want to create a border and backing with other project leftovers.

Although scrappy is not something I am comfortable with (my mind goes to symmetry and balance,) I really, really, really like this top. It speaks to me with words like, warmth, comfort, security. I think I will be keeping this one for myself. Unfortunately, I can't get the picture to rotate in my Chromebook, so tilt your head to the left while viewing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of PC160001.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	122658
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Altairss, I am truly sorry you're having a hard time, especially during the holiday season. But (and I hope you don't think I'm making light, because I promise I am not) "free flying lesson" is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Be well, my friend.
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My baking, shopping, decorating, and wrapping is done! Just waiting on two more pkg to come in the mail so I can wrap them and put 'em under the tree. At long last I finished the quilt I am giving my sister, here's a picture of it. Now I'm just down to getting the house cleaned up, grocery shopping for the holiday brunch,and waiting for Santa. The only downside is I have to work both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so I will miss the annual xmas eve party at SIL's. Merry Christmas all you awesome Forum friends.Attachment 122666Attachment 122667Attachment 122668Attachment 122669

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No worries It was meant to be funny. I retrieved it from the landing zone and have beaten it cough I mean strangled nope umm wrangled it into submission. So its done and got two others stockings done. I think I am done to my DH new replacement stocking and one for my Golden.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry about your dog, Altairss, and I hope the sibling bad news isn't serious.

You know I love the pretty pictures, and so appreciate people sharing pictures of their work! Some beautiful sewing going on, everyone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been longarming the day away. Two queen size quilts done, thanks to the prosticher. Will bind them this weekend while watching football. Finished piecing my great newphews Minnons top and cant find the fabric I had for the backing. Put it aside and worked on adding the borders to my sisters quilt and cant find that fabric either. Since it is after midnight I'm going to bed. Will look for it tomorrow.

Sylvia, the challenge quilt looks great. I have a Accu quilt die and my niece came by tonight and cut tumblers. She looks at me and says looks like enough to make two, she'd love a scrap quilt. Then a few minutes later my other niece comes by looks at the tumblers and says Ohhhhhh, I'd love a scrap quilt. I would have bet money neither of them would have liked one. This is why I don't gamble. I think I will just sew them together and try to have some contrast between the ones touching but I dont have enough lights to do every other one.
    Anita G.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MomGram View Post
    Sylvia, the challenge quilt looks great. I have a Accu quilt die and my niece came by tonight and cut tumblers. She looks at me and says looks like enough to make two, she'd love a scrap quilt. Then a few minutes later my other niece comes by looks at the tumblers and says Ohhhhhh, I'd love a scrap quilt. I would have bet money neither of them would have liked one. This is why I don't gamble. I think I will just sew them together and try to have some contrast between the ones touching but I dont have enough lights to do every other one.
    When I did my tumblers, I ended up with three piles - light, medium and dark. So my pairs could be light/dark; light/medium; dark/light; dark/medium. A very important thing about sewing your tumblers together is how you turn them. You have to have some pairs with the narrow end at the top and other pairs with the wide end at the top. I ended up having 2 kinds of pairs. The first set would have the light/medium with the narrow end at the top, and that was paired with a medium or dark. The second set had a dark or medium with the wide end at the top, paired with a light/medium. Paired this way, I had the contrast from left to right and also from top to bottom.

When I started, I thought I could just flip them around to get the wide and narrow ends to meet as I made the rows. But I soon realized that I wasn't getting all the contrast that way. Also, because of the way the tumblers are joined, you have to ever so slightly offset the seam at the top and bottom so they lie straight when opened up. HTH
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would make lots of Christmas presents this year...since I purchased my new embroidery machine (Pfaff) in May. But I have been having so much fun taking classes (learning how to use all those buttons) and making things for me that I've neglected everyone else! :-) I have made several tea towels but I gave most of them away already. I think I'll make a plan and write out everything I would like to make and for who...and start in January! :-) I love my new hobby!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrettisc View Post
    I thought I would make lots of Christmas presents this year...since I purchased my new embroidery machine (Pfaff) in May. But I have been having so much fun taking classes (learning how to use all those buttons) and making things for me that I've neglected everyone else! :-) I have made several tea towels but I gave most of them away already. I think I'll make a plan and write out everything I would like to make and for who...and start in January! :-) I love my new hobby!!!
    I think it is great that you made things for yourself. Too often, we forget to do that. I have a list for next year's Christmas gifts, and I am also starting in January.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished the table runner for my daughter-in-law. I'm very happy with the results. I hope she will like it as much.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...tml#post827461