• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squeaky
    Applique Angel
    • Aug 2012

Re: Grace SR-2 Frame

Originally posted by Equilady View Post
    I'm curious about what machine you each use with your frame. Do you have to know the model machine before you order the frame?
    Thanks
    I have a Brother PQ1500 but when I first got the frame I actually had an old Singer 201a on it. I had enough room on the carriage behind the machine to put the foot pedal and I pressed on it like a mouse as I worked a pantograph from the back with a laser. It led to a lot of hand/arm cramps but I was still looking for a used machine that I could afford that would work in it and, once again, I just made do.

I do wish the frame was taller, but I might need to just get mu husband to raise it somehow. I'm 5'10" and I find I'm hunched too much when I'm using it and it leads to back strain.

Comment

• Angela J
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
      I do wish the frame was taller, but I might need to just get mu husband to raise it somehow. I'm 5'10" and I find I'm hunched too much when I'm using it and it leads to back strain.
      I am 5'10" also. When I first got mine setup, I was clutching both of those handles like my life depended on it. I was too tense and I was feeling the muscle strain pretty quickly. I have a bad back from a work injury anyway. I finally let go with my left hand and now I just use my right hand and it seems to flow more freely from me and I don't tense up. I also found that I was actually standing straighter that way. Works for me, but might not work for you. Just thought I would bring that up since we are the same height.

Comment

• MRoy
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2011

I'm 5'9". At first, I used the levelers on the bottom of the legs to raise it some, then I ended up putting it on bed risers. That raised it about 5". It's much more comfortable to use now.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• Angela J
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

I must have shrunk in my old age! I can't imagine my frame 5 inches higher! (LOL)

Comment

• MRoy
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2011

I'm going to shorten the levelers on the frame legs as much as possible, that should lower it about an inch. I just haven't tackled that yet. I was afraid there might be some vibration using the risers, but so far so good.
            *~* Myrna *~*

Comment

• Squeaky
              Applique Angel
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Angela J View Post
              I am 5'10" also. When I first got mine setup, I was clutching both of those handles like my life depended on it. I was too tense and I was feeling the muscle strain pretty quickly. I have a bad back from a work injury anyway. I finally let go with my left hand and now I just use my right hand and it seems to flow more freely from me and I don't tense up. I also found that I was actually standing straighter that way. Works for me, but might not work for you. Just thought I would bring that up since we are the same height.
              I do very little work from the front - I'm mostly behind it staring down at the laser on the pantograph. I might try the bed risers though.

Comment

• TMP
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2014

I have been following this post and wondering ( I also have the SR2 frame ). I like the frame with the one exception, I do not like the fact that it doesn't have additional bars to roll up the batting and quilt backing on. Have any of you modified the frame so that the batting and backing doesn't lay in the floor? I have tried to get my DH to come up with an idea to modify mine .
                Teresa
                Pelham, Alabama
                War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Angela J
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                  I have been following this post and wondering ( I also have the SR2 frame ). I like the frame with the one exception, I do not like the fact that it doesn't have additional bars to roll up the batting and quilt backing on. Have any of you modified the frame so that the batting and backing doesn't lay in the floor? I have tried to get my DH to come up with an idea to modify mine .
                  Doesn't really bother me. I knew when I purchased it was missing those bars therefore the lower price. Maybe someone else has a solution.

Comment

• MRoy
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2011

I have the Grace Start Right frame that came before the SR-2. It has a ratcheting bar for the quilt top below the bar for the backing. So my quilt top doesn't touch the floor. I'm planning to get a piece of vinyl guttering and attach it to my frame for the batting to lay in.
                    *~* Myrna *~*

Comment

• carolynrae
                      The Guild President
                      • Apr 2013

I am 5'9 1/2 " tall and I as well have considered using the bed risers to raise the frame but I was afraid the weight would break them. I found some plastic ones at Walmart that would raise it about 5 in. I also get to hunching over to see exactly where I am quilting on the quilt.

Comment

• Squeaky
                        Applique Angel
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                        Mine has the third bar but for the batting I use a piece of conduit (less than $5 from Home Depot) and run a piece of paracord through it, then hang that from the frame on both sides. It just kinda hangs there about a foot off the floor.

Comment

• Angela J
                          Missouri Star
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
                          Mine has the third bar but for the batting I use a piece of conduit (less than $5 from Home Depot) and run a piece of paracord through it, then hang that from the frame on both sides. It just kinda hangs there about a foot off the floor.
                          That is a very creative option. I have a drop cloth under my frame that the batting and top rest on while I am quilting. Your idea would keep it off the floor entirely.

Also my part came yesterday and it is the whole bracket, thank goodness. I missed my granddaughter's birthday but I let her know in advance. her other present arrived in time.
                          Last edited by Angela J; December 23, 2015, 08:02 AM. Reason: additonal information

Comment

• Squeaky
                            Applique Angel
                            • Aug 2012

Oh, and to "load" the conduit I take it to the dining room table, open up the batting, then roll it on fairly loosely.

Comment

• Angela J
                              Missouri Star
                              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by carolynrae View Post
                              I am 5'9 1/2 " tall and I as well have considered using the bed risers to raise the frame but I was afraid the weight would break them. I found some plastic ones at Walmart that would raise it about 5 in. I also get to hunching over to see exactly where I am quilting on the quilt.
                              I now know what you all were talking about with the extra five inches. I was looking at some pantographs to purchase and I went around to the back of my frame to see where they would be placed. YES! I would definitely have to raise the frame to work from the rear. I normally am working from the front and I couldn't understand how I could work with the frame raised that high, but from the back it is truly understandable.

Comment

• MRoy
                                Missouri Star
                                • Jul 2011

I mostly use pantographs but I like the frame raised for working from the front too. The extra height at the front is also good for me when having to pick out stitches...it's easier on my back.
                                *~* Myrna *~*

Comment

Working...
                                X