Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilty/Crafty Careers

I would agree on the business of craft shows my sister did this for several years along with working full time. I would tell you that she worked long hours and did not make much money paid high taxes and burned out on sewing when she quilt she did not sew very much for 6 months. She said it ruined a hobby.
    I was not trying to ruin your plans.
    How about starting a biz sewing hats for people who are losing their hair either thru cancer or some other reason. What ever you do I wish you great success .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ceiliam View Post
    I would agree on the business of craft shows my sister did this for several years along with working full time. I would tell you that she worked long hours and did not make much money paid high taxes and burned out on sewing when she quilt she did not sew very much for 6 months. She said it ruined a hobby.
    I was not trying to ruin your plans.
    How about starting a biz sewing hats for people who are losing their hair either thru cancer or some other reason. What ever you do I wish you great success .
    Yeah, I can totally see that burning someone out. I definitely don't want to go that route! I wouldn't mind making things and selling them, but I wouldn't want to get into the business of making things solely on commission. It would likely be more of a by-product of the creative process instead of creating things for the sole purpose of selling them. I also don't do well with deadlines, they stress me out, so to have constant deadlines because of a bunch of custom orders would send me straight to the looney bin!
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    It is not my career, but it is extra money making, and that is the making and selling of my bags. I know I have patterns in me that need to be designed and introduced to the public, but I have not quite figured that part out yet. I have a nice retirement check every month, so anything I sell is extra which normally goes back to the habit of sewing. This year I was able to purchase an industrial machine and I paid for it entirely with what I made off my bags.

I know I will never get rich from it, but at least the bags I make make others happy.
    How do you market your beautiful bags, other than word of mouth? Do you have a website? How do you get custom orders? Do you buy your supplies wholesale or retail? Which industrial machine did you choose? Your bags are sooooo gorgeous! Hope you don't mind all of these questions! Thanks!!

Marci

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for a career that would fully support you or just pad your wallet? You mentioned teaching. Would you consider seeing if there's any demand in your area for teaching folks how to sew? That could be lucrative for you and fun to meet new people. Also, you'd feel rewarded doing your part to help keep the craft of sewing alive. Very little investment involved since advertising would be your greatest expense. You could purchase some inexpensive class machines. Some used ones would be very little cost to you (Ebay?). I know that Jean Sewing Machine was teaching several young girls how to sew. I don't know if she was charging to do so. You could check with her on that. Jean also brings in some income as a costumer for a local theatre. I used to work at a local theatre company in their costume shop altering and building costumes. It didn't pay much but that added income was nice. You might find that you could do several different things to make money.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to pause here and reflect on what I've read so far since our dear Starling posted her question. We are very blessed to have this supportive community where someone can throw out a potentially life-changing question and get such helpful and wide-ranging responses. It's just so unusual in most online communities. No snark, no disrespect, no negativity, just kindness and help around the activity we love. There is so much to consider about building a business and so many areas you have to become educated about. Starling, you have a lot to consider here as you work your way towards the next step in your life. I guess you can see that you have a giant, international cheerleading squad that's with you all the way.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of the ladies at a local quilt store told me you make more of a profit on small items than large ones. She suggested wall-hangings, table runners, placemats, baby quilts, etc.

If you know of someone with their own business with customers going in and out, like a restaurant, and would be willing to hang your items on the wall that would be great.

If you make wall-hangings a good idea would be holidays. Christmas, Valentine Day, Mother's Day, 4th of July, Halloween/Fall, etc.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Vonnie. At our church craft sale, people are much more apt to purchase table runners, placemats and wall hangings than a big quilt. I don't know if it's the "I'll buy something small because it's for the church" or they don't want to spend a lot of money.

I forgot about teaching! That would be a great way to show off a pattern you made and then sell it. And it doesn't require a lot of inventory either.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Teaching is a great idea, I love how many have suggested it. You could use it as a starting point; it gets you in touch with customers, you can learn what people in your area need, and find your strengths. It's the beginning of making a name for yourself. And there is no huge commitment or investment, it's easy to stop if it's not what you want to be doing.

Sounds like you need to make a simple list of what you want. Sewing and selling is not a business that grows. Do you want some extra cash, or do you want to be Jenny Doan? Business that doesn't grow fizzles out. Study people you admire, even ones who are in parts of the business you're not interested in. Angela Walters has shared quite a lot of longarm business info on her blog and videos, I've found it fascinating though I will never be a longarmer. I just started following a new pattern designer on Instagram, clobird.com, you can watch people like that to see how they're approaching the business. The one thing that seems to sell is uniqueness - developing your own brand style instead of patterning yourself after others where you will get lost in the shuffle.

You sound like you really want this, and that drive and enthusiasm will find you your direction. Wishing you the best on your journey!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in finding a job in this field.
    I'm sure they are out there somewhere.
    We live in a rural town in Missouri, low income
    Families, blue collar work.
    You can't sell quilts, or even a handmade pillow.
    People just don't have the money for handmade items.
    Consignment stores want 3 months rent paid to display
    your items. If you don't sell anything, you've lost money.
    The best of luck to you. Happy Quilting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned that there were very few stores in the area that sold fabric, and none that sold pre-cuts. I am wondering if any of those would be interested in expanding their business, to include you teaching sewing and quilting classes. You might be just what some tired, dusty old shop needs to revitalize their market. And no $$ investment on your part.