Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilty/Crafty Careers

Sometime within the last 5 years, Leah Day did some blogs on earning a living through quilting. What she really stressed was that making quilts was not the way to go. But creating patterns that others would buy to make their own quilts could be profitable. Certainly, a great deal of research will be necessary. I wish you the greatest success.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is not my career, but it is extra money making, and that is the making and selling of my bags. I know I have patterns in me that need to be designed and introduced to the public, but I have not quite figured that part out yet. I have a nice retirement check every month, so anything I sell is extra which normally goes back to the habit of sewing. This year I was able to purchase an industrial machine and I paid for it entirely with what I made off my bags.

I know I will never get rich from it, but at least the bags I make make others happy.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am in awe of those who have started their own crafty businesses - be it online or brick stores. Y'all are awesome!

I really love Klasien's business of making memory quilts. I think this is an awesome idea and if I had to I would do what she is doing. There are a few times in a person's life where cost takes a back seat to a memory - weddings, funerals, and births. If you can get a person to buy a quilt at these life events, it should be easier for them to pay a reasonable price.

I just watched this week's episode of Shark Tank. There was a woman who developed a knitting business making handbags. She hired a bunch of elderly residents to knit for her. What a great resource that gives them a purpose and income too! I don't know how you could do this, but maybe you could wrangle a few seniors to quilt with you.

As you can tell, I know nothing. I'm just spitballing some ideas I've had.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of patterns,if you have designs you can alway's sell them on Etsy. I have bought baby shoes and quilt patterns there. I see a lot of people doing really well doing that.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Dee. It is nice to see you.

I wish you all the best in your new endeavour, whatever you decide to do. I have no ideas for you though.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be Debbie Downer, but you may want to check out the tax ramifications of selling your wares.
    There can be a point at which it becomes not fun anymore.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Lorie, you are adorable my friend. Never change! I wasn't necessarily thinking of Craftsy, but I certainly wouldn't turn down an opportunity to work there. I'm just not sure they'd want to import a crazy Newfie lol Funny that they started out with wine tutorials though, never would have guessed!

I have thought about creating patterns, and that's something that I am certainly going to look into a little more. I feel like there are so many awesome ideas and patterns out there already that I wonder if my ideas would ever catch anyone's eye, but I guess I won't know until I try.

I've also thought about opening a fabric/craft store, but that's something that requires a lot of money upfront, and getting a business loan in this economy likely won't be fun (or easy!). We don't have much in the way of fabric stores, there's a small store where I bought my machine, they sell a small bit of fabric (but no precuts at all) and a few notions, and there's a craft store that just opened last year that sells a few precuts and a little bit of yardage, but they are more focused on yarn crafts and the things that go along with that. The largest fabric store we had just closed up and turned to an online only store, so there is a bit of a gap in the market, but it's the start-up funding that's keeping me from going any farther down that path.

But I have seriously considered making patterns, and even creating items and selling them. I've thought about starting a blog or a youtube channel to do tutorials, but I'm not entirely sure how that process works in terms of earning money that way. I've even thought about buying a longarm machine and teaching myself how to use it so I could quilt for others, but I think that would be stressful. If I ruined someone beautiful quilt I would never forgive myself! I sometimes think the problem is that I have too many ideas and I don't know where to start lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all that Janbee said. I did the craft show circuit for about 20 years and sewed for a children's clothing boutique for a few years. It was not something I could/would have done as a full time job/income. I was a stay at home mom and it was some extra money for my spare time....I got to go places I would not have gone otherwise. I still have a craft booth at a local antiques shop nearby. It is something I enjoy doing, but not a big money maker. In my area, people are not willing to pay boutique prices for handmade items.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia H View Post
    Sometime within the last 5 years, Leah Day did some blogs on earning a living through quilting. What she really stressed was that making quilts was not the way to go. But creating patterns that others would buy to make their own quilts could be profitable. Certainly, a great deal of research will be necessary. I wish you the greatest success.
    I think I read some of those blogs Leah wrote about the quilting business. Another quilting blogger who has been building a quilt related business and writes about it is Christa Watson. You would have to read old blog posts and come towards today to see that she has been systematically building. It's not easy. Editing - I should have given you a link. Here it is if you don't know her.

Christa Quilts | Make it yourself. Make it your own.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sylvia, I just found the post by Leah Day, and I really want to thank you for mentioning it. I do follow Leah, but somehow missed that post by her. I can understand how it can be stressful when you focus so much on the money-making aspect that the fun gets sucked out of it, and I certainly don't want that to happen. But I'm not looking to make millions, "just enough to keep the wolf away from the door" as my mother would say. I joke with my husband all the time that we would make horrible millionaires because we'd be giving it away to every sad face that came knocking and forget to leave any for ourselves lol

Also, thanks for posting that other blog Midge. I actually never heard of her before, so now my afternoon project is reading through her blogs and seeing what I can learn I love learning new things, and I also love teaching, so that's another big part of my motivation. If I could teach just one person to sew or quilt so they can go on to create beautiful things, then my life will be complete and I will be happy knowing that I made even a small difference in the world. Quilting and sewing is such a beautiful craft, because we all create things that bring smiles and warmth to others, and that's pretty amazing. As the saying goes, money can't buy happiness, but it can by fabric, and that's kinda the same thing
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World