Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arthritis and foods to avoid

Anybody here have arthritis and have problems with certain foods like dairy and sugar?

The last couple of weeks I have overindulged in dairy and sugar and now I'm in a lot of pain in my joints. So I have been googling arthritis and foods to avoid.

Anybody have any advice that suffers from this? Any particular food that really inflames your joints? I'm having a hard time going up and down stairs. I have to keep my left leg straight or it tries to buckle on me. And of course, I live in a split level house.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I'm not better by Monday or Tuesday I will be making an appointment with my doctor.
    Vonnie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arthritis and foods to avoid

Thanks for this post. I, too, have alot of pain in my left knee and hip from arthritis. I will be interested in seeing if anyone has any advice. Will check in later--now I have to take my arthritic self to work!
    Ellen =^..^=

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago, there was a famous nutritionist on the radio, Carlton Fredericks. He was ahead of his time in this field and he mentioned that the vegetables in the 'nightshade' family should be avoided or at least used in moderation for those who suffer from arthritis.....among them are peppers and mushrooms. You might do a google search to find out what else is in that family....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never noticed a food-related connection--mine usually seems to be weather-related. Here in MO, the weather changes so often, I don't have time to notice other triggers!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious as to what kind of responses you will get here. The only food related suggestion I can think of is that ginger is a natural anti inflammatory.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gshalom View Post
    Many years ago, there was a famous nutritionist on the radio, Carlton Fredericks. He was ahead of his time in this field and he mentioned that the vegetables in the 'nightshade' family should be avoided or at least used in moderation for those who suffer from arthritis.....among them are peppers and mushrooms. You might do a google search to find out what else is in that family....
    Yikes - we love mushrooms!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Eat more pineapple.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    Eat more pineapple.
    Interesting: Foods that Help Fight Rheumatoid Arthritis ? Rheumatoid Arthritis Food & Fitness ? Health Monitor

I happen to like pineapple. Thanks Shirley.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have arthritis too, mostly in my hands & knees & feet. I never noticed any food related triggers, only cold weather. I joined Weight Watchers a few months back & I am eating a much healhier diet now. I've noticed that since I've lost weight my knees & feet hurt much less than before.
    Shirleyknot, I'm interested to know what about pineapples help arthritis?
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

i try to eat as little sugar as possible but this time of year it is hard to avoid. I could blame the pie I ate but the weather here went from a high of 70 to a high of 40. A front like that really affects me. Combine a weather change with too much sugar and I don't feel good today. If I really get hungry for a dessert, we cut the sugar in the recipe down as much as we can. Mostly I eat fruit since the natural sweet doesn't seem to be a problem. Hope this helps a little.