• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beeje
    4 Patch Pro
    • Mar 2014

Dimensions for quilt tutorials, Herringbone in particular

Hi. I'm sorry to be a whiner but I would like to suggest that the video tutorials start with a mention (and a graphic, if possible) of the finished dimensions. I love Jenny's instruction style, and I always refer back to the videos throughout my own work. However as a mathematically challenged individual it's difficult for me to know how much fabric to buy for backing if I don't know the finished size of the quilt top. On more than one occasion I've not had enough backing (even though I was certain I would!) only to find that the desired fabric is no longer available.

Right now I want to order supplies for the Herringbone tutorial and would like to make it quickly for a friend who just learned she has ovarian cancer I hope to get the quilt done superfast so she can use it for her upcoming chemotherapy sessions. The tutorial explains how much fabric for the top and binding, but I have no idea what to buy for backing, and I'd like to order it all at once with confidence it will be enough. If anyone can tell me the finished top size I can order everything in one shot.

Rant complete. THANK YOU! (Disclaimer: If the dimensions of this quilt top ARE listed somewhere, I apologize in advance that I missed them!)
  • Midge
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2014

Re: Dimensions for quilt tutorials, Herringbone in particular

Hello, Beeje and welcome to the forum. While it's true that some of the older tutorials have to be listened to carefully to get all the requirements and measurements from the video, that hasn't been true for a while. For quite a while now there have been graphics in each tutorial with a diagram and fabric requirements. You can do a screen grab if you want that to keep and print out. For the Herringbone quilt it is at the 30 second mark. Now the tuts are linked to blog with links for the fabric and tools. The Herringbone Quilt was featured in the blog.

Search Results herringbone

Tutorials are not patterns. But there is other free help available. Have you tried the Robert Kaufman QuiltCalc app? It's available for both Apple OS and Android in their respective stores. It's free and will calculate just about anything you want to know to make your purchases. Hope this helps you and good luck with your quilt for your friend.
    Last edited by Midge; November 25, 2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• BillNye
      Administrator
      The Guild President
      • Feb 2009

hey Beeje! That's a great idea, for the tutorials most of the focus is on the block and not on the finished quilt, we try to just show examples, but we could definitely work something like a kit or something and the dimensions around that. GREAT IDEA!!

Comment

• Beeje
        4 Patch Pro
        • Mar 2014

Thank you so much!! I must've watched the video at least six times so far and didn't see the dimensions - probably because I was so focused on the other numbers. I feel silly now! Time to place my order. Thanks again.

Comment

• Midge
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Beeje View Post
          Thank you so much!! I must've watched the video at least six times so far and didn't see the dimensions - probably because I was so focused on the other numbers. I feel silly now! Time to place my order. Thanks again.
          You are welcome, but hey, don't feel silly. It's harder to take in information if you are stressed about it! And don't worry. All questions are welcome here. Good luck with your quilt.

Comment

• Midge
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by BillNye View Post
            hey Beeje! That's a great idea, for the tutorials most of the focus is on the block and not on the finished quilt, we try to just show examples, but we could definitely work something like a kit or something and the dimensions around that. GREAT IDEA!!
            Hi Al and thanks for looking out for us. A suggestion for the older tuts would be to have a blog post as a 'tutorial redux' that adds those wonderful graphics you use currently. Some of those tuts are old favorites of many of us, and it would be convenient, plus a big improvement for newbies. Also, for newer quilters having the backing yardage specified in the graphic would probably be a big help. No one wants to order a big cut of fabric and then find out they ordered the wrong amount.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

One thing I do when watching is have a notebook and pencil with me, and I write down dimensions as Jenny talks about them. Some are easy enough to remember and others are very detailed and need precision to get them put together correctly.

As far as backing goes, you can either buy wide backing the length of your finished quilt ( I always add 8-10" for squaring up purposes. Or you can piece your backing. Figure you can always count on fabric being at least 40" wide, then buy multiples of your length ( plus that 8-10") so you can piece together your fabric to make it wide enough. You will probably have some leftover fabric. But I would rather have leftovers than be short 1-2"!

Comment

• QuiltPAC
                Rotary Pro
                • May 2015

I made this quilt using all 42 layer cake pieces and it ended up being 94" x 82". The tutorial said it would be 84" x 72". I was annoyed and needed to buy more backing fabric and wait for it to be shipped.

Comment

Working...
                X