Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Long Will It Be?

I am having cataract surgery Tuesday. How long will it be before I can sew? My distance vision is 20/150. They are only doing the right eye. My left eye will be the following week. I really have quite a bit I need to sew before Christmas--pajama pants for the grandkids, a couple of fleece jackets, and a pullover. I hope that I will be back at the sewing machine the next day. I am not supposed to bend over, pick up heavy things, drive or get water in my eyes, use the eye drops but that is all the restrictions I was told about. The Dr. says I will need reading glasses after the surgery though I don't use them now. Guess I am a little nervous........

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Long Will It Be?

I had cataract surgery back in the 90's, both eyes a month a part .I was nervous too. Things went very well. It took the doc about 20 minutes to do it .The morning after the surgery, I was able to see the individual blades of grass outside my front door as opposed to just a stretch of green. I don't remember how long it was before I could sew again, but I followed the doc's instructions.Things were normal in a short time. I have worn glasses since I was 4 years old,so I still needed them after the surgery .. but it was awhile before I got them. That was how it was during the 90's, 20+ years later technology is better. Good luck to you Kathy

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I am interested also.... I am due to have my eyes checked again to see if my cataract is big enough to have it removed. I put off that appointment til after Christmas... and then DD#2 will be thru her radiation treatments, too. Just too much to deal with adding ME into that mix. I'm not looking forward to anything that messes with my eye sight.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had cataracts removed from both eyes. Each time came home with the surgical eye patched for 24 hours and, like Kat said - you can see individual blades of grass!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You will be able to sew sooner than you think. I was back to work in two days and on the computer all day. I had both eyes done in 2000 (one month apart) with great results. You will be astonished how much brighter colors will be.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had mine taken care of before I retired. I don't wear my glasses for sewing anymore, just midrange and distance seeing.

The only thing that bugged me was the in between time. From doing one then the other, I did had trouble but it wasn't because of the surgery. It was the difference in my 'done eye' and my 'undone eye'. I hope that makes sense.

Hope yours goes just as easily as mine did. Quick recovery so you'll be back to the sewing room in no time.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had cataract surgery in my right eye last May and for whatever reason had lots of problems when I stopped using the steroid drops. I think my eye surgeon was sick of seeing me in his office so many times because of it. My vision was incredible the day following surgery but it has since changed and no longer 20/20. I have a small cataract in my left eye but after my experience not in a rush to do anything about it. I started sewing a few days after surgery but in hindsight I think I would have waited a little longer if I could go back and do it over. This is just my experience and I know many have had better results than I did.
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago & like others the improvement in my vision was almost miraculous !! But like Katrina the bad part was the time between the first eye & the second. I was very near sighted with bad astigmatisms in both eyes. My glasses were designed to fix that so once the astigmatisms were fixed in the surgery I had a lot of trouble using my glasses ( like wearing someone else's ). Fortunately they did the second eye 10 days after the first , then everything was wonderful...
    Now I only wear glasses for very near work.
    Good luck, I know all will go well for you..
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. I am cleaning house and doing laundry today so that I will have that off my plate. I cleaned my sewing room really well so when I am able to get back in there everything will be neat and tidy. I go in at 9:45 tomorrow morning. We are having Thanksgiving dinner at our house so hopefully that will go well. My hubby has said he will help me with the preparations. He is not a kitchen person so we will probably laugh a lot and no telling how things will turn out but I am just going to be thankful no matter what. I have lots of blessings so intend to be thankful no matter what.

Several women in my quilting group recommended this doctor so I am hopeful all will go well. I will let you know how things go for me.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on your surgery.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!