Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Pizza

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Pizza

This recipe is easy but so good. When I've served it to guests they thought I spent all day making it especially for them. Many people use a pizza stone for homemade pizza. I don't. I have a 9” x 12” pan that was my mother in laws and like to use it. But use whatever you are comfortable with and have on hand. I'm not good at giving exact amounts because I just do it as I go. You can add more or less sauce, cheese and toppings.

Pizza dough for one pizza (you can use the pre-packaged pizza dough in the fridge section at the grocery store but it is much better if you get pizza dough from the bakery. I get mine from Publix.)
    1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (or your own homemade sauce)
    LOTS of mozzarella cheese (I slice it myself because it tastes fresher but get it already shredded if you want to save time)
    LOTS of provolone sliced cheese cheese (I use at least ½ lb.)
    Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional – I don't always use this but it is delicious with it.)
    Italian seasoning (I don't measure but sprinkle it over the top)
    Fresh basil if you have it on hand
    salt & pepper
    Your favorite pizza toppings: Some of mine are Pepperoni (I go very heavy on the pepperoni), I've also used summer sausage and it is delicious, pepperocini peppers fresh or jarred, fresh grated or finely diced organic garlic, fresh organic spinnach, fresh broccolli, fresh thinly sliced tomatoes, fresh basil.

I also like this pizza without any toppings other than cheese. It is delicious without any sauce on it for those of you who like white pizza. I especially like white pizza plain or with the veggies listed above (and lots of fresh garlic.)

Pre-heat oven to the temperature on the instructions of whatever pizza dough you are using (they vary)
    Roll out your pizza dough (I made mine about 1/4”) and make it the size to fit in the pan
    Coat the pan with a little olive oil
    Place rolled pizza dough in pan
    Add cheeses evenly distributed over the dough
    Add sauce over the top of the cheese
    Add your favorite toppings

Cook for as long as the instructions on the pizza dough say to cook. When you take it out of the oven let it cool for about 5 minutes. You will need a knife and fork for this pizza. It's a thick crust.

2. Thanks wncquilter thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Homemade Pizza

So many ways to make pizza! Sometimes we use the pre-made crusts from Ingles or Aldi. We have made our own yeast dough as well. My husband makes our sauce. The past couple of years a friend has given us large amounts of fresh tomatoes. We put them directly into large freezer bags and freeze. When it is time to make pizza, we take a few tomatoes from the freezer, run warm water over them to loosen the skin and it slips right off. He dices the tomatoes, adds fresh minced garlic, onions and herbs and simmers. It's a very fresh tasting sauce. We like to add feta, and sometimes gorgonzola if we have it. Olives are a favorite, as well as green pepper and sauted mushrooms (for me and my daughter, hubby doesn't do mushrooms on pizza). I am off to find a recipe for a slow rising pizza dough....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a forgiving pizza dough recipe. Sorry I can't give it proper attribution, because I don't remember where I got it. It calls for bread flour, but I've made it with all purpose flour and it comes out fine. Also it says to use a food processor, but I generally make it in my stand mixer with a bread hook and it comes out fine.

HOMEMADE PIZZA DOUGH

INGREDIENTS
    • 2 Ύ cups/390 grams bread flour
    • 2 ½ teaspoons/7 grams active dry yeast(1 packet)
    • 2 teaspoons sea salt
    • Ό cup extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 cup warm water
    • 2 or 3 tablespoons medium or coarse cornmeal

MAKE THE DOUGH:
    1. Put the flour, yeast and salt in a food processor. With the machine running, pour the oil through the feed tube, then add the water in a slow, steady stream. Continue to process for 2 to 3 minutes (the dough should form a rough ball and ride around in the processor). The finished dough should be soft, slightly sticky and elastic. If too dry, add a bit more water; if too wet, a tablespoon or so more flour at a time until the wetness is absorbed.
    2. Lay a 12-inch-long piece of plastic wrap on a clean work surface. Work the dough into a rectangle on the plastic, about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. Press your fingers into the top of the dough all over, making indentations as though it were a focaccia. Fold the left third of the dough over (as you would a letter) and repeat the indentations. Fold the right third over and make the indentations again. Cover the folded dough with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes.
    3. Cut the dough in half, form each piece into a neat ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer. The morning
    before you want to make pizza, transfer the dough to the refrigerator to thaw. Alternatively, you can use half immediately and freeze the rest.

MAKE THE PIZZA:
    1. Bring the dough to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes. Put a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 550 degrees. (If you don’t have a stone, oil a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.) Dust a peel or the greased baking sheet generously with cornmeal. Working with the dough in your hands (not flat on a work surface), gently begin to stretch the dough into a circular shape, pressing your fist into the center of the dough and pulling at the edges with your other hand. With both hands, stretch the dough, being careful not to tear it. Working in a circular motion, pull the thicker edges of the dough outward, letting gravity help you. Continue to stretch the dough until it’s relatively even in thickness (the edges will be thicker) and you have the size you want. Carefully lay it on the peel or baking sheet.
    2. Top the pizza as desired and either slide it off the peel and onto your heated stone, or place the baking sheet into the oven. Cook the pizza for 6 to 10 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling.

This makes a great dough. Agree the balls of fresh mozzarella can't be beat on pizza. So much better than pre-shredded cheese.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Now you've got me wanting to make pizza! I haven't made one in ages. I make my own dough, I just dump everything in my bread maker and use the dough cycle. When it's done I have enough for four pizzas, and I either refrigerate for a day or two or stick the dough balls in the freezer. My dough recipe is basic, but has a little honey added and if you let it ripen in the fridge for at least a day and a half it takes on a yeasty rich beer taste, yum!

I don't know why, but I love veggies on my pizza! I just don't go for sausage or pepperoni, love them but not on pizza. Olives, onions, juicy tomatoes, artichoke hearts, anything. Nobody ever lets me order a pizza, lol!!!

I don't have a stone either. Maybe it would be nice, but I get a fantastic crust just using a very dark preheated cookie sheet.

My secret to making it super easy? Don't get out a rolling pin, don't learn how to stretch the dough -- slap your dough ball down on a sheet of parchment paper and just push it into shape with the palms of your hands (splash a little olive oil on them). Very little effort if the dough is relaxed, you get a very nice rim, and it sticks to the parchment and holds its shape. Slide it onto the preheated cookie sheet, into the oven, and when it's done the whole pizza on parchment can be slid onto your cutting board. I slice it right on the paper, keeps the cutting board pretty clean.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made homemade pizza for many years now. I use the dough I get at my local bakery. I let it rise then gently work it out to the size of my pans.I also never roll out the dough, that is for piecrust not pizza dough. I stood in the local pizzaria one day for about an hour watching how they do the dough, although I will never be able to flip it in the air, I can get a good stretch on it. I have 3 big 16 inch non stick pizza pans. I used olive oil once to grease the top so it wouldn't stick and would never do that again..makes the crust a soggy mess, instead I use corn meal and sprinkle the tray with that before laying the dough down.
    We use a pre-made pizza specific sauce. Toppings are anything from plain cheese, pepperoni, cooked italian sausage, black olives, mushrooms, green and red peppers and onions. what ever the family fancies. We usually do a plain mozzarella cheese , but sometimes mix it with cheddar. I make 4 for 4 of us and there are never any leftovers.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a free pizza class on Crafsty that is really good.

Learn How To Make Pizza With Peter Reinhart: Perfect Pizza at Home

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own dough too. My favorite pizza to make is a BLT. Start with baking your favorite canadian bacon pizza. Remove from oven and top with a slather of mayo. Add chopped lettuce and fresh chopped tomato, and enjoy.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your pizza and dough making tips! I admire those of you who make your own pizza dough. I'm not that ambitious but am happy with bakery dough.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze Quilter View Post
    Thank you everyone for your pizza and dough making tips! I admire those of you who make your own pizza dough. I'm not that ambitious but am happy with bakery dough.
    Lol, cool breeze! You give me way too much credit. I used to be perfectly fine with bakery dough too. Light years away from those frozen culinary atrocities. Since I've been retired I have been branching out in my cooking and decided to make bread (much of the time) and my own pizza dough all the time. I enjoy filling my time with activities I like and I now can do that without running myself ragged every day.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh I just ate lunch an hour ago and now I am REALLY hungry! I can almost smell your pizzas baking right now, you described them so good. Thanks for the recipes. Merry Christmas everyone.