Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting newbie question about backing.

I'm new to quilting and I have used backing fabric for all my quilts. But is that necessary? Is it only called backing cause of the measurement of the fabric? I have noticed a lack of modern backing fabric and it's hard to find a cute fun modern backing for my quilts. Is there a her way around it?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting newbie question about backing.

Are you asking if you can use anything else for backing? Yes you can use the same things you use for your piecings if you like those fabrics.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

No, you absolutely don't HAVE to use wide backing fabric. There are definitely advantages to being able to back your quilt from one piece of fabric, but you can also piece your own backing. Do a google search for piece quilt backs and you'll see what I mean. You can use yardage, leftover fabric from the quilt top, leftover/orphan blocks, muslin, fat quarters - whatever it takes to get to a size large enough to back your quilt. Hopefully others on the forum will come along with links to youtube or craftsy videos that can give you more information.
    Slainte!

Liz

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your dilemma....for some reason I like extra wide fabrics for quilts I make because I don't want seams. Then the problem lies, the lack of fun fabrics. For table runners and such, I use fun fabrics, but usually I buy a big enough pieces of fabric, to use it on the back of it. This doesn't help, but I get your problem...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Craftsy.com and enroll in the free mini class, "Creative Quilt Backs" by Elizabeth Hartman. I can't post the link because it's already on my stuff as enrolled. She has a lot of cute ideas for putting together your own backs. When you get to the site, type in free mini classes in the search box at the top of the page.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's a matter of preference. I rarely use wide backing fabrics. I don't mind piecing the back and usually do something decorative when I do. I took that Craftsy class ages ago. It's helpful. If you do a search on Pinterest or Google images for pieced backs, you will get many ideas too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Guess what? I use flat sheets of any color and design that goes with the quilt top. I've backed baby quilts with fleece or flannel. I know seams aren't exactly attractive, but...there are ways to design a backing for your needs to complete your project......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam McD Topper 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	120835 Front of table topper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam McD Topper 3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	120836 Back of table topper (using what was left of fabric to co=ordinate with the front!)
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer not using the wide backing, it's too much to trim and square for me I don't have a large space. I prefer vertical seams on my backs, with the wide piece in the middle, then I adjust the side panels for my width. I always use a 1/2 inch seam and press to the side never open. This is the way I was taught for a big quilt. Many ways to do it I'm sure. I love colorful backs.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For most quilts I prefer to not use wide backing. I always try to use up all the fabric, when I buy wide backing I end up with too much extra fabric cut off the edges. I think it's a problem most of us have, too many bits and pieces left over when the project is complete!

There is a phone app called "Quilting Calc" by Robert Kaufman. I use it all the time for figuring the exact amount of fabric I need to back a quilt. You just have to enter the size of your quilt and the size of your backing. The app does the math for you.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Robin... USE IT ALL UP!!! Having literally NO space for laying things out rather than my quilt frame... I end up laying the quilt top over the frame.. picking fabrics for the back by draping over the top. If what i have is not enough... i see what i'm shy,, then cut a bit off center of the piece i have the most off and tear it... then fill in with a contrast or pieced leftovers from the quilt top.. That's the backing!!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"