Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-washing

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pre-washing

Thank you all for the tips and the kind welcome! I grew up learning to sew clothing, so not prewashing will be different than what I've always done...but to be honest, I'm excited to get right to sewing with crisp, 'fresh' fabric, and not having to worry about washing, drying, trimming fray and ironing first! RiverMomm, I checked the London Drugs website and looks like they have plentyof the colour catchers in stock in Calgary so I'll have a look this weekend!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually put a couple of color catchers in with the quilt when I wash it. I check the color catchers prior to putting the quilt in the dryer. If the color catchers are not white, I was the quilt again with fresh color catchers and repeat this this until the color catchers come out white and then dry the quilt.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I don't pre wash cotton but I always wash flannel yardage but never pre-cuts. If using unwashed flannel In either pre-cuts or yardage I increase my seam allowance to 1/2 inch.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule I prewash fabric, both to be sure it isn't going to bleed in a quilt and mostly because I have allergic reactions to the things in the fabric before it is washed. That said, I never wash precuts and I'd never wash part of a quilt and not the rest before putting it together so that shrinkage is the same. If I'm working with precuts I don't wash any of it. Prewashed or not I put a couple of color catchers in when I wash a quilt and if I gift a quilt I give them a box of color catchers and instructions on washing and using them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't prewash anything, mostly because I'm lazy & hate to iron all those yards of fabric. I buy yardage most of he time, I don't use too many precuts. I have to say I've only had a problem with bleeding on one quilt. The backing was a tye dyed looking batik, reds, oranges & yellows. It bled a lot but the color catchers took care of most of it. Funny thing, the only fabrics that soaked up the bleeding dyes were the ones I bought at Joann's. All the fabric I got at my LQS was just fine. It was a scrappy string quilt so really the bleeding didn't hurt it at all,,, just made it more interesting.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie333 View Post
    As a rule I prewash fabric, both to be sure it isn't going to bleed in a quilt and mostly because I have allergic reactions to the things in the fabric before it is washed. That said, I never wash precuts and I'd never wash part of a quilt and not the rest before putting it together so that shrinkage is the same. If I'm working with precuts I don't wash any of it. Prewashed or not I put a couple of color catchers in when I wash a quilt and if I gift a quilt I give them a box of color catchers and instructions on washing and using them.
    I watched a U Tube the other day and the gal said that if you pre-wash the fabric, you should also pre-wash the batting, adding that even the thread can shrink, but pre-washing the fabric and the batting keeps the shrinkage more even.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon