Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-washing

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Pre-washing

Hello!

I'm relatively new to quilting and will be soon creating my first quilt using pre cuts (jelly roll and charm pack). Most places I read advise not to pre-wash precuts, but I was wondering about the fabric I'll be using for the backing and to create my binding strips. I've always been so used to pre washing any fabric I've used, but I'm feeling if I wash the backing and binding fabrics everything will shrink at a different rate and make for a bubbly quilt that doesn't lie flat. The fabrics are all bright blues and reds (the Airmail fabric collection), so I've also got some worries about bleeding colours!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pre-washing

Don't do it!

I never pre wash anything. I've made something like 50 quilts... just use a color catcher in wash the first time you wash the quilt

Welcome to the forum
    "Only God is perfect, my quilts don't have to be!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

*maybe two or three color catchers if it's a larger quilt
    "Only God is perfect, my quilts don't have to be!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The color catchers really work!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It's an age old topic. There is a lot of outdated information out there, and modern dyes generally do not bleed. I've read to set dyes with vinegar, then not to bother because that only worked on the older dyes. Fabric manufacturers today are not expecting you to prewash these days.

I'm a fabric washer for many reasons, but as I've taken up quilting I've heeded advice like you've gotten here. And that is just to buy fabric and start cutting and sewing. People even have all kinds of tricks for fixing it after a finished quilt has bled. Just get going and have fun

*if you're working with a different fabric like shot cotton, some do need to be washed first, but those are rarities

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't prewash. I wouldn't prewash a pre-cut for anything due to the fraying & shrinkage that could make piecing a nightmare.

I just finished a stars & stripes quilt that I truly thought I would have trouble with, I used the color catchers (several with several washings) what a surprise when it was the blue that ran not the red.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody washes precuts so don't be nervous about skipping that step. Your quilt will turn out fine! And Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

No! Don't do it.... The only thing worse than spending your time prewashung fabrics is mixing prewar he'd and unwashed fabrics in the same quilt.

I haven't ore washed anything f or years... But, I always wash the finished quilt, using color catchers. I like the crinkles I get, and any basting spray, or chemicals in the fabrics are washed away.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No need to pre-wash your yardage. When your quilt is finished, wash it with a couple Color Catchers.

I am not sure you will be able to find Color Catchers in Alberta. I live in Quebec and the only place I have found them is on Amazon.CA for a lot of money. I did some research and found that Dr. Beckmann's Colour and Dirt Collector may be the same thing. I haven't ever used Dr. Beckman's myself because I can't find them in Quebec. But other Canadian forum members in other provinces have found them. In Ontario, from what I have heard, they are available in the washing section of London Drugs or Metro grocery stores, so maybe check those stores in Alberta. I have never used them as they are not available in Quebec.

Dr. Beckmann Colour & Dirt Collector - 30 sheets - London Drugs

I buy my Color Catchers in the States from Walmart. If you can't find Dr. Beckmann's, PM me and I will mail some Color Catchers to you.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I'm here in Winnipeg and I got Dr. Beckmann color and dirt collectors at London Drugs. If you call the store make sure you tell them what they are and the purpose. We only have one London Drug store in Wpg. and it is on the other side of town, so I thought I would call before making the long trek. I asked if they had color catchers and I was told no. Then I explained what they were and that other people had gotten Dr. Beckmann color collectors from London Drugs in other provinces. The girl I was speaking to had no idea what their purpose was but she recognized the name. She finally checked the shelf and they do carry them, she was kinda excited about them now that she knows what they are for. They are amazing, good luck.
    Kathy