Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quarter inch questions

Hi, I am new to sewing and got a Brothers XL 3750 for my birthday. I have done some little bags and did a top for a small quilt that I put together but I had a little problem with my 1/4 in. When I start its ok then it pulls away form the inside feed dogs and when I making my blocks the seam are not straight (have to move the block to keep it form sewing off the fabric). The foot I have is a 1/4 in but its not like the one I see in the youtube video that Missouri star makes. I have been looking for one on amazon but I have been have a little of a hard time finding it. Some helpful tips would be awesome.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quarter inch questions

Welcome to the forum.

I have a similar problem with my elderly Bernina. I have always had to angle the block about 10 degrees to get a result which is a staight 1/4". I have adapted over the years, and now have trouble using a 'normal' machine. I would be interested to see what advice you receive.

Again - welcome!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi welcome to the forum!

I had the same problem. The presser foot wasn't grabbing the fabric. I have this foot. I have a Babylock,but it's the same foot for a Brother. It solved so many of my problems!

1/4" Foot w/ Guide, Snap On #XC6800251: Sewing Parts Online

I should of said the old foot wasn't covering the fabric and the dogs weren't catching it.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; October 31st, 2015 at 06:37 PM.

Lorie

4. Thanks Ghoulia thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Hi welcome to the forum!

I had the same problem. The presser foot wasn't grabbing the fabric. I have this foot. I have a Babylock,but it's the same foot for a Brother. It solved so many of my problems!

1/4" Foot w/ Guide, Snap On #XC6800251: Sewing Parts Online

I should of said the old foot wasn't covering the fabric and the dogs weren't catching it.
    That looks like a really great foot and I think its going to be the next buy.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to think about is where you are sitting relative to the needle area. If I am sitting slightly to the left or right of the 'sweet spot' for my machine then I find I feed the fabric in slightly from the left or the right and that can affect the straightness of my seam. One tip I was given was to get my fabric lines up BEFORE it got close to the needle rather than try to 'fix' it when it's under the presser foot. So now I try (with varying degrees of success) to align my fabric using the line markings on my machine bed just in front of the bobbin/needle area, and I have also used blue painters tape to mark the right edge of where I want my fabric to feed in. I hope that makes sense.

You've got a great machine to get you started - my first machine was an earlier generation of the one you have and I adored it!
    Slainte!

Liz

7. Thanks Ghoulia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a picture might be useful... remember I am visually challenged and this is my set up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sewing attachments.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	120350

Note the blue painters tape!! Plus I have the 1/4 inch foot. The lead in to the needle is part if getting a consistent seam. Hope this helps..

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

One thing we do as new sewers is focus too much. It does help to relax. Sometimes using two hands can skew it, so try using one hand or a stiletto to hold your fabric and guide it. And play around with different feet, different guides, and find what works well for you. And it helps to not watch the needle at all but look in front of it.

I love my quarter inch foot, I bought a generic one off amazon that's great. But if I want a scant quarter inch I like my all purpose foot because it luckily has a groove on it that along with moving my needle to the right gives me my perfect quarter inch. I'm going to try tape, postit, etc. to se if I can get a little speedier by not having to look so closely, but so far haven't found what I like.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

As you're starting out it can be helpful to think about having a consistent seam allowance (i.e. the same for all blocks in your quilt, runner, etc) rather than stress about it being 1/4 inch. Remember that what works for one person or for one machine doesn't work for all. There's lots of advice and suggestions on this forum from people who have tried stuff and figured out what works for them. If you try something and it doesn't work for you, don't feel bad! Just move on to the next suggestion and eventually - I promise! - you will find YOUR way of doing it.
    Slainte!

Liz

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ghoulia and welcome from Ohio. Isn't sewing just the greatest hobby? The 1/4" seam is a huge issue, and you have gotten excellent advice here. The only thing I would add is to emphasize what Granny Judy said. Having a guideline in front of the needle/throat plate area is one way to improve your seams. Look in front of the needle at the area ahead of the foot. Don't try to focus on the needle itself. That is too late. Try the blue painter's tape. You can put a couple of layers on top of one another and make a little guide bar. Practice with that.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother CE5500PRW that was purchased about five years ago. Even with a 1/4" foot on it, I found that my seams were unpredictable. I measured and marked and guided the best that I could. In most cases, my blocks turned out bigger than prescribed. I made a trip to the MSQC retreat center and rented one of their Babylocks. What a difference! When I returned to my Brother, it took all of five minutes to figure out the problem. Because a 1/4" seam does not allow the fabric to cover all parts of the feed dogs, the fabric shifts slightly to the left as it passes beneath the needle. If I sew with a larger seam allowance, I get consistent seams. My fix for this was using a piece of tape to mark a line to use as a sewing guide. I sewed, measured, repositioned the tape, sewed, measured, repositioned the tape . . . repeated a few times until I was able to get a reliable seam. The result is that I'm actually shooting for a little larger than a 1/4" seam, but the result is a scant 1/4". Now that I know how to drive it, the Brother sews fine.