Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quarter inch questions

At Quiltville.com Bonnie suggests using the card key from a motel and double sticky removable tape to make your 1/4" seam mark. She says to sew two 2.5" blocks together, press and measure. It should be 4.5" after being sewn together. If it isn't, move the card key until you are able to sew the seam exactly to get the 4.5" measurement. I am much better at showing than writing directions. I hope this makes sense. It has made a huge difference in my sewing results. I had to use an old credit card but that worked also. Good luck.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could also check your foot pressure to make sure it is holding the fabric all the way down. The tape and card guide are great ideas. It really is consistency that is the key to accurate quilting. Your 1/4" can be off a tad one way or the other, but if it is the same on each piece, it really won't matter much...unless your pattern requires a scant 1/4". Same principal applies though.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulia View Post
    That looks like a really great foot and I think its going to be the next buy.
    Ghoulia,

That is the foot my wife and I use for our 1/4 inch seams. I think it is the best thing since rotary cutters for us. Best of luck solving your problem.

Dave