Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotary Cutter Problems

I'm having a lot of trouble using my rotary cutter. I've sharpened it three times, but it keeps getting stuck and won't cut the fabric. Should I change the blade? Or should I get a new cutter? I'm taking an online course on how to measure and cut, so I'm really new at all this. Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rotary Cutter Problems

Absolutely change the blade. I don't personally have a blade sharpener, having heard mixed reviews. I've used the aluminum foil technique with very limited results. Just shop for sales on replacement blades. Amazon tends to have good prices, esp. if you are a prime member. A sharp blade makes all the difference in cutting.

3. Thanks spirit60cba@gmail.com thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you don't have two blades stuck together.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If it is new, I would be interested to know if you have taken it apart......seems odd that it won't roll. I had mine quite a while before the blade needed to be changed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had inserted a new blade and had a problem with it cutting. Then inserted another new blade thinking maybe the other one was defective. Same problem with not cutting. Then I realized I had gotten lazy with the way I was holding the cutter during cutting. I didn't have it straight up but it was silting every so little toward the side (you could hardly notice that). I correcting how I was holding it and I've had the same blade in for three months and no cutting problems.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

7. Thanks spirit60cba@gmail.com thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If there is nothing else I need at Joann's, and I have a coupon, I quite often will buy a packet of replacement blades or needles for my machine. Their coupons make them a fairly decent deal.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I was having trouble with my cutter after I had changed the blade - because I had put it back together the wrong way! Mine is an Olfa and they have instructions on their web page. The other brands probably have as well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had much success with sharpening my blades. Try a new blade and see what happens. I always pull up the instructions for my cutter when I change blades,. I also take pictures of each step on my phone so I can reverse the process and put the cutter back together in the correct order. Don't over tighten when replacing the blade.

Once I put in two blades by accident. With the oil on the blades, they tend to stick together. I only realized it when my cutter was not cutting well, But, be careful as it is very easy to cut yourself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

MAKE SURE THE PRESSURE WASHER IS ON THE CORRECT WAY! If it is put together wrong (the washer upside down) it won't roll easily.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    MAKE SURE THE PRESSURE WASHER IS ON THE CORRECT WAY! If it is put together wrong (the washer upside down) it won't roll easily.
    Yep, I did this one time too. LOL Which is why I take pictures now. Obviously, I need all the help I can get when changing blades!