Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storage of fabric used on project

This is my first posting and still learning how to use this site…so I apologize if this is already on here somewhere. I have recently gotten into quilting and have made a few quilts and applique projects. What do you do with the leftover fabric? How do you store it? My fabric inventory is growing but is packaged…just not sure what to do with all this "extra" fabric. I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. Thank you!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Storage of fabric used on project

Welcome to the forum. There are no stupid questions! There are lots of solutions to your stash storage. I'm sure you'll get lots of different responses.

I store left over fabric in picture boxes, labeled by what quilt I used it in. So one box has all the left overs from one quilt.
    Then there's the batiks. They've kind of exploded all over... It has it's own large box. I keep the fabrics folded neatly in that sweater box.

I stack the boxes with the labels showing (except for when my son puts them in, then their backwards).

Hope that helps.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First welcome to the forum.

I am a new quilter too and I had my small, yet usable, scraps in zip lock baggies. My larger scraps are in baskets, and any larger pieces I have in a bookcase. There is a thread about managing your stash, which you can search for. Basically it depends on how much scraps you have and the space you have to store them

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If the scrap is the size of a fat quarter or larger, I fold it and put it with my other yardage. Smaller scraps are cut into whatever usable size strips (2 1/2", 2", or 1 1/2" wide) and/or squares (5" or 10") that I can get out of the piece. Then I group each size together in separate baggies or bins.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRoy View Post
    If the scrap is the size of a fat quarter or larger, I fold it and put it with my other yardage. Smaller scraps are cut into whatever usable size strips (2 1/2", 2", or 1 1/2" wide) and/or squares (5" or 10") that I can get out of the piece. Then I group each size together in separate baggies or bins.
    This is pretty much what I do as well. However, I also keep the very small pieces to use in mile a minute quilt blocks.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I want to keep them all together for a possible future quilt, I keep them in ziplocs. Otherwise, I do as Myrna suggested. If you like scrappy quilts, Bonnie Hunter's website has an explanation of her scrap users storage system.

Here's a link:

Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!: Scrap User's System!

Welcome to the forum!
    Donna

7. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.You have already gotten what ever suggestions I would have given.
    Joan

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use shoeboxes, labeled according to color. I, too, cut into usable pieces as mentioned above. Happy quilting!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your suggestions...this was very helpful and I plan to check out the website suggested and the thread on "managing your stash"...but I think I know how I'll go forward. Again, thank you! Right now they are in piles on my cutting table...which is not very efficient and I keep having to move them. :-)

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I manage mine like Myrna and it works very well for me too. I hang the strips and they are always ready without having to do endless tedious sorting and ironing before I can start a new scrappy.