Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New member and question about fabric

Hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend, to new quilters, to buy quality fabrics. You will find those here, and also at a few other online shops (Fatquarters, Craftsy, Keepsake, Connecting Threads, Superior Threads, and there are others). Once you have a few project under your belt, you can then be more confident in your own ability to discern the quality of fabrics from other sources. The project can also determine the quality of the fabric. You want the best quality for a child's quilt that will be washedrequently. For a wall hanging, perhaps a lower quality will be okay as it is not carried about and used and washed.

Flannel can be a big problem. Buy a poor quality flannel, and the amount of shrinkage can mean you need to buy additional fabric to complete the project - or - if you do not wash until after the finish, you will find your quilt is significantly smaller than what you intended.

But, please take heart. As quiters, we can each probably tell a story of one or more quilts that did not turn out as we had expected. Even for experienced sewers, there can be a learning curve. However, the result - a quilt that will be used and loved - is what keeps us "keeping on".
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome here, it's a pleasure to meet you!
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I once worked very hard on a project for my grandson with JoAnns fabric. Then I washed it and the fabric faded out and wrinkled so bad it was a total loss after I put sew much time in. Never again! If I am going to put my time in it's going to be on quality fabric.
    Have a Sewonderful Day,
    Mary T.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. That is pretty much what I expected. There was a time when you could purchase good fabric from Hancock or JoAnns ( they are new to Baton Rouge, and I really don't care for them, they seem to be more like a Hobby Lobby then a fabric store). There are a number of quilt shops here in Baton Rouge, I may try some of them.

In the mean time, thanks for all the replies. And know quilting is addictive, I've already got the bug... just don't have the skill yet, but with tutorials on youtube, all things are possible!

Thera

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. Occasionally, I am in BR visiting my sister. Grew up in La Place. I agree with all the other comments to your question. And as you'read discovering it doesn't take long to realize that quilting can be addictive. I got the bug fast.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you enjoy your quilting adventure, it sounds like you're off to a great start! Quilting isn't about skill unless you're entering competitions, and I think it's a rare thing where there is a niche for everyone. If you just want to collect fabric, if it's your social activity, your stress release, creative outlet, etc., you'll always find other quilters just like you. I'm fairly new to quilting too, and still finding my way.

What I've done is used the Daily Deal to sample fabrics from different manufacturers, as well as break out of my comfort zone for prints. Fabric is artwork, and the better brands have well known artists that you can look to time and again for the prints and color palettes you enjoy. I've also perused Massdrop a lot because the items are consumer requested and fabrics and notions turn up that you won't see in any one single shop -- I've been intrigued by a lot of Japanese fabrics, but haven't yet bought any.

My thinking is that it doesn't matter what you start with, just get going and you'll forever be discovering new things.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from Illinois.
    Keep Calm and Quilt On!
    Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.
    Paula

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from California! You will like it here. I'm brand-new to sewing and quilting and I've found lots of answers here. The search function is great and the people are very nice and very helpful.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy quilting fabric from JoAnn. I was advised not to from the get go by many quilting friends. I feel that investing in great quality all the way through gives my quilts a better chance at longevity. I am giving most of my quilts to children and grandchildren, and I hope they have them many years.