Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default New member and question about fabric

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to quilting. Not sewing though. I'm 52 and have been sewing since I was 12, got my first Singer and had it for 30 years. Made all my daughters clothes when she was small, when you could get a scrap of fabric for a few bucks and actually save some money.

My sister quilts and has been trained by a professional quilter, but I'm just winging it until I found the YouTube videos that MSQC does. I tried a quilting class once but all they seemed to want to do was visit and that wasn't for me. I work full time so I'm not into wasting time, even with my precious leisure time.

I made my first quilt as you go this weekend based on Jenny's video. She said it would take a few hours, well, all weekend for me!!

Anyway, I have a general question. I'm pretty obsessed with these jelly roll packs. My question may be silly and obvious, but what is the difference between the rolls I find on this website and say the ones at JoAnns for $12.99?? I would assume quality?? Thanks for any input. I purchased one from JoAnns, but don't want to waste my time if the quality is not there, although it would be great practice.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New member and question about fabric

You assume right. My quilter told me that Joann's buys the seconds for their stock and that is why they can sell so cheap. If you look at them, and compare they probably are not made by the same Names as the ones M* sells on this site.

Another difference I have noticed is that they do carry a few Kona solids, and sell them for a higher price than M* does. I assume that I because you can use a coupon there and save 40-50%. I still am not sure they are selling first runs and it seems to be a different density than what I buy here, I use it in a pinch, but more often than not... I'll go ahead and order my solids here and be happier with them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kensington. You should also compare the number of strips in the jelly rolls. The ones on this site have 40 strips, not sure if the ones at Joanns do.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

ditto quality and number of strips, plus the fact that Joann's is just horrible in general (okay, that's one opinion)

Mainly -- Welcome to the forum! there are no silly questions here, just really great people!
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quality not as good and also fewer strips- might need 2 or 3 of them.
    Big lots also sometimes has jelly rolls. Same story.
    I still buy the cheaper ones sometimes, I am not usually making heirloom quilts so it does not always matter in the big scheme of things. There are times where "only the best will do" and for those I make sure I use higher quality fabrics.
    Happy Quilting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Wisconsin! I agree, the jelly rolls at Jo Ann's are probably okay if you are just fooling around making sample blocks for yourself, but I doubt they contain 40 strips. It's a little scary at first to go online shopping for fabric but it is really fun. M* and fatquartershop are two good online shops to explore. They both have secure safe websites and great customer service. Also when shopping online for fabric, you can get a more detailed look at just what all fabrics are included by double clicking on the image to get kind of a rainbow spread of thumbnails. That means if you are looking at a layer cake or charm pack and double click the image you will be able to see all the diff colors or prints that are included and not just see the one on the top of the bundle. A little hard to explain but once you do it, you'll see. Have fun shopping! I don't think shopping for fabric is the hard part, for me it is choosing a pattern!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep... You assume correctly... Joann's jelly rolls are OK, but there really is a difference in the quality of the fabrics you will get from the ones M* sells....

My fabric budget is very limited, so I end up buying less, but buying good quality fabrics... Although I have been knien to buy a couple of the fat quarter bundles Joann's sells.... But even then, I try to get a pack with fabric thst "feels" good to me...

Making even a small quilt takes time...lots of time..... So, I I try to use the best tools and fabrics I can afford... It's just worth it to me.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

JoAnn's sells different brands of fabric. Some are good quality and some are very thin. So I look and feel before I buy. When I shop online, I stick to brands or shops I know. For example, I've always been pleased with the fabric I've bought from M*QC. But if I buy somewhere else, I make sure it's a brand I know such as Robert Kaufman.

Have fun!
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Connecticut. I am also a new quilter, just started this summer. The people on this forum are very helpful and friendly so if you do have questions usually someone is willing to help. I do have to warn you though, that quilting is addicting but fun.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

welcome from South Florida