Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2 questions from a newbie

I still use the book The Quilter's Ultimate Visual Guide, even though I think I know everything already.
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from SW Ohio!

I started quilting before the internet. The first book I bought was Quilting By Machine Singer Sewing Reference Library. I bought this particular book because the front picture It does have some good and basic tips. I'm sure there are newer versions and this same information is now on the internet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51exOvqkopL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	120043

I took a very long hiatus from quilting and started back about a year ago. I subscribe to Quilter's World magazine and I buy M*QC Block magazine single issues. Both of these are available in digital format.

As everyone has mentioned, tutorials and the internet are going to be your biggest resource. I try to watch 2 or 3 on the subject so I get a couple different perspectives. For example, Jenny has an excellent tutorial on binding. And then another non-video tutorial had the specific picture I needed for it all to fall in place.

Also, your LQS (local quilt shop) may have classes you can take and experienced people with ideas and advice.

Happy Quilting!
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I like how they break everything down and categorize the quilts by Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. I'm more of a "show me" person to learn something so I enjoy taking classes every now and then at a quilt shop. There is so much that can be learned from online tutorials. Jenny's, of course, are always great and she makes it so easy. If there is something you particularly want to learn about, watch a few different videos on the same subject. Everyone has a different style and you almost always learn something you didn't know before. Sort of like an Ah Ha moment. This forum is also a great one to ask questions. Everyone is always helpful and friendly.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I donated or gave away lots of my books and magazines because I never made anything from them. Magazines are kind of like eye candy, interesting to look at but for some reason we pick another source for patterns. I would say that M Block Magazine stands alone in that it has no adds and every issue shows photos of each step in creating the quilt, which for a new quilter especially, is very helpful. I would say that Block Magazine is the best out there for giving you actual useful practical info and explaining things. I think M also has another mag called Mod Block but I haven't seen any issues of that so I am not sure how they differ.

One book that I did keep I have used a lot. It is called The Quilting Answer Book by Barbara Talbert. It's a little tiny book about 4x6" soft cover. It's about 400 pages and packed with very basic stuff like how to miter corners, estimate yardage, make half and quarter sq triangles, shortcuts, etc. It has good sections on solving problems a topic not usually covered in books that tells you how to go about fixing a block where seams don't match or well there's a bunch of problems that we all run into from time to time, that's just one example.I have had it at least 10 yrs you might be able to find it on Amazon or B&N. Enjoy your new passion and feel free to ask any questions here any time!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to the library anyways, how about checking out their magazine subscriptions? Our library lets you look at the magazines in the library and then you can check them out if they are not the current issue. But of course then you have to return it in time so you don't pay the fines. My first quilting book was by Alex Andersen "Beginning Quilting" ( I think) it was a great help with lots of basic knowledge in it. You will have so much information by just searching on the web. Jennys' tutorials are easy to follow and make. You also have the opportunity to pause it at each step while you are sewing something.
    Also you can ask any question here and there is always someone who knows the answer or who knows where to find the answer. Remember no question is a dumb question---How else are you going to learn??? Good luck and we'll be looking forward to hearing from you again.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have "The Quilter's Bible" by Linda Clements and find it very useful to refer back to. It has the basics as well clearly explaining different techniques.

The quilt shop where I was doing a beginner course was next to a book shop, so DH was having a browse while waiting for me and bought the book.
    Last edited by Eliza; October 26th, 2015 at 05:53 PM.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. When I wanted to learn to quilt I asked my MIL how to start. She gave me some books. It looked so complicated that I just gave them back. When she passed away I donated them. Five years later a friend showed me how to get started and I've been quilting ever since. So I agree with the others. Watch Jennie's tutorials and others, take a class, Block magazine (although they frequently post corrections for those patterns later). I have a few books and magazines, but my favorite is the ALL-IN-ONE QUILTER'S REFERENCE TOOL (2nd edition) by Harriet Hargrove, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson & Liz Aneloski. It is full of information on yardage, supplies, techniques, conversions, and instructions for several blocks.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the recommendations for American Parchwork and Quilting magazine--have kept every issue since the first.

Two books I would suggest checking from the library:
    Quilts Quilts Quilts by Laura Nownes and Diann McClun
    The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Hargrave and Craig

Both are good basic references that are nice for your personal library. I love my Ipad and technology, but I still love books. But who knows--I have given up my morning newspaper for the online version!

Sue

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    Well.......MSQ's Block magazine of course :-)

You may get an awful lot of info from Jenny's Tutorials and also Utube tutorials. There is ton of info out there and watching it being done I always found very helpful. I didn't learn it from magazines but learned so much from Jenny's tutorials. They were so easy and it really made me feel like Oh Yeah "I" can do that!

Good luck :-)
    I agree with this 100%. My very first quilt I made was done by watching Jenny's baby quilt tutorial. The only mag I get is Block. Ive looked at books and magazines over my few years of quilting but never wanted to buy any.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I've learned a ton just from free patterns and tutorials I've found online.