Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down What do you dislike about your sewing machine?

In an effort to let others know more about what machine to buy, I thought it might be a good idea to go about this question in a different way.

We all love our own machine, right? After all, that's why we bought the thing. But I'm sure there is something about your machine that you don't like.

Don't answer with things that you wish your machine had - we all wish our machine was the top of the line with bells and whistles and a personal half naked tutor man to help us when we need it. (ok, maybe I'm the only one who wants the half naked tutor guy )

Tell me what machine you have and what you don't like about it?

-----------------------------------

I have a Pfaff Tiptronic 6270 - an older machine - and it's loud and heavy. I also don't like the blanket stitch on my machine, it seems backwards to me.

I also have a Pfaff Creative 3.0 - a combo machine - it's also loud. Maybe it's a Pfaff thing? That's about all I don't like about it.

2. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you dislike about your sewing machine?

I have a Janome 4120 QDC, and I got it because the price was right. LOL. It was way more quiet than my old one... I was looking for that. My Singer was like driving a truck. I got it so I could do applique.

The one thing I guess I don't like is that it has auto thread cutter, and it cuts too short to start sewing again. You have to stop and pull the threads out or when you start again, the thread pulls out of the needle.

I haven't ever used my auto threader much either.... I didn't like it. When it popped up it shreds my thread sometimes. So I just thread myself, but at the retreat AussieSue had the same machine and I asked her about it... she looked at mine and said it's not supposed to do that, and it's not popping right. So I am going to take it back to the sewing machine store where I bought it and have them fix it or replace it. Hopefully I will like it then and use it often! Now that I know!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have three machines....a Bernina Artista 165 (gifted to me), a 1.5 yo Brother Professional, and a small Janome Jem Platinum. Used to have a wonderful Janome LE2007...

I dislike that the Bernina has a side bobbin.... You can't tell if it's nearing empty..... But, you don't have to pull up the bobbin thread, so that's good.

The
    Brother has a pj interest upping quirk... When you turn it on, the needle is off to the side... You have to push a button, to get it centered, or you will be in trouble... I have no idea why the designers did this... It's beyond annoying.... I've broken so many needles... I now keep a sticky nite on the machine, to remind me to move the needle into the center position....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

**raises hand**
    I'll take the half naked helper guy please.

Brother CS6000i- .......Way. Too. Small!!
    It was all I could afford at the time and I needed something for household sewing, tablecloths, curtains, mend a seam and such. It's ok for that, but lacks any kind of oomph and hates crossing seams of any kind.
    Did I mention it's too small? The tiny harp space isn't even as big as the span of my hand, and I have pretty small hands.

1956 Singer 99- The thing I initially didn't like about her was the original foot pedal. Easy peasy though to fix and I switched it out for a much better one. Otherwise not much I don't like about her. Beautiful straight stitches and could sew through a tire if I asked her to.
    Her motor on the other hand....while it works very well, it has that old sewing machine motor smell. Nothing wrong with the motor at all it's just the way they smelled back then....I'm just not a fan of motor-y smells.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Babylock Elizabeth.
    The only thing I can think of is I can't curl up on the couch with her to sew.
    I can hand piece n the couch.
    SORRY.
    But I had just been saying this very thing.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SewnByBee View Post
    I have the Babylock Elizabeth.
    The only thing I can think of is I can't curl up on the couch with her to sew.
    I can hand piece n the couch.
    SORRY.
    But I had just been saying this very thing.
    Bee,

Recently Bonnie Hunter showed a picture of someone who was using a small (toy?) machine on the couch while she was recuperating from leg surgery. Now that's the way to sew!

I can't say there is anything I specifically don't like about my machines. I would like one that does the serpentine stitch and a basic alphabet, though.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pfaff 2170. Yes it's loud when it turns on, otherwise it's quiet. The embroidery arm is to the back which limits the size of the hoops, but you also don't need to take the hoop off to sew. Just move it back to home position. I have had older Pfaffs and Pfaff had a 2 position presser foot height. It locked far enough up to use a jumping foot. The newer Pfaffs have the settings in the computer.

I've tried older Viking, Brother and Babylock.
    They all eventually annoyed me with the decorative stitches. (I still do heirloom) Pfaff put out the 1471 that let you PROGRAM stitches by coordinates so you could make your own. I figured out a lot of Elna and added them.) Later Pfaff added the ability to edit all the stitches. Babylock and Brother, the ones without the auto threading are extremely user friendly. Both make the best buttonholes. The 1+ Viking was too limiting on stitches, but better than the Japanese machines. (Viking sold extra design cards to snap in.) Pfaff was also the first with a built in walking foot which is still the best of the bunch. If you FMQ, it's totally out of the way. The other thing about the older Viking and Pfaff, they were front loader bobbins. I don't like drop in bobbins.

I've had the Brother 1500 quilter and now the Juki counterpart. I far prefer the Juki. It has a speed control albeit slow, medium, or fast, but I'm having a far easier time with FMQ. I'm suspecting the Brother might have been a lemon. The Brother does have 4 feed dog positions.
    Up, partially up, partially up with pin, and down. I'm not sure about all the feet, but some Janome, Juki and Brother feet work on various machines. All these feet have an ankle, they are not snap on, so the foot is set up to open over the needle hole. There is a variance in where the center is. I had on foot with an edge stitch guide that gave a good scant 1/4"
    Last edited by Alpha O; October 23rd, 2015 at 09:55 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Before I started quilting, about 3 or 4 years ago, I needed a new machine so I bought a cheap Singer 7258 (I think). I haven't had any trouble that could be called incidents, but I am not happy with the small harp space and the noise level. It has nice decorative stitches, which I am learning I can use for quilting. I would not advise getting one of these for quilters, but for beginning sewing, not bad.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Husqvarna Viking Topaz 30 -
    Is it unrealistic to say that there is nothing about this machine that I do not like?? Seriously, any issues I've ever had were user error. I agree with Gloria about the automatic thread cutters cutting the threads too short (I don't think that is specific to any machine, necessarily), but I am learning when it's good to use that feature, and when it's better to press the needle and foot lift and just pull the piece and cut the threads the old fashioned way. Not really a problem though.
    I have put this machine through the paces over the past two years that I've owned her, and she continues to bring a smile to my face!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My Brother embroidery / sewing machine has a knee lift, but I can't use it in my cabinet as the bend interferes with the ledge of the table. Watch for clearances if you plan to drop it in a cabinet.

I would probably have to bend me knee lift or modify my table to make it work.