Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you dislike about your sewing machine?

Catnbull--you have 16 machines??? You must have a heck of a big sewing room! Is your DH an electrician by chance? Because you sure must have lots of outlets in there!! Probably a couple smoke alarms too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Catnbull--you have 16 machines??? You must have a heck of a big sewing room! Is your DH an electrician by chance? Because you sure must have lots of outlets in there!! Probably a couple smoke alarms too.
    No, I have 12!

They are not all in the same room. 5 live downstairs. 3 of the downstairs machines do not work. (2 were gifts. I'll have them fixed as soon as I can). One lives in his travel suitcase. One lives in my grandchildren's playroom at my house. (Vernon, the Rocketeer. My grandson has claimed him as his own. He re-named him Mikey, for the ninja turtle, but I still call him Vernon).

Hubby is not an electrician :-)

And I have the normal amount of outlets and smoke alarm in the hallway.
    Cathryn

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Juki F600 and Juki 2010 ... Purchased about 6 months ago. I love them both so had to think hard for dislikes. I guess the only things I don't like are the knee lifter...just doesn't work right for my height perhaps? And I really don't get the use or need for a knee lifter. Also the threading is not hard but certainly different than what I've used before ... So it's still not 2nd nature to me. And the lack of a local dealer. My previous machine was a Janome 6500 that I initially really liked but ended up not liking much for several reasons: it was very heavy..so taking it anywhere was a struggle (and I enjoy classes and retreats), it was very picky about thread, and it did not sew well over multiple seams...flying geese for example were a real struggle..it would make these horrid tiny stitches and the foot would move, losing my 1/4 inch seam. The 1/4 inch foot that came with the machine was in no way a correct 1/4 inch. I always had to remember to move the needle over to the right to get a correct seam. I did clean this machine regularly and had it serviced by an authorized dealer ... I know others who've had that same Janome for years and still love them. I just highly prefer my Jukis who aren't so darn persnickety

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Bernina 530 which I love because of the smaller feed dogs and the precise piecing I can accomplish on it. I miss the full auto threader and thread cutter my brother had, but I still prefer my Bernina. I had the brother, a featherweight that I sold when I brought my Bernie home. I even bought a used 350 for travel I liked her so much. I quilt on a frame with a Q’nique so throat space wasn’t an issue.

The only thing I really really don’t like about it is the location of the on/off button. I find it is in an awkward location and turning your machine on and off should be easier but other than that, I love her.
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Janome MC9000......automatic tension. Great for reg sewing, for fmq....impossible to get perfect tension. button holer thinga ma bob....cannot figure out how to use, expensive to maintain, lighting stinks, and the head of the machine is so big you cannot see the stitches you have already stitched
    Singer featherweight.....slow compared to above lol, and the throat plate screw sometimes catches the fabric just right which causes it to feed crooked, messing with my 1/4 inch seam foot controller is offset, which ergonomically causes back problems.
    singer merrit.....does not have the extra lift of the presser foot. Squareness of bed is not ergonomic, cannot put tape for 1/4 inch seam allowance becausee it is a drop in bobbin
    1920 domestic does not have the extra pressure foot lift for sewing thick stuff, and no zig zag, feed dogs do not drop. quilting on this one does not like the backstroke over thread....it always breaks.
    1960s domestic does not have the extra pressure foot lift. the needle is off centered always. No attachments will work with this....no walking foot, quilting foot
    all my stuff is old....lol
    made in japan or america all the way for this household....no china imports....they do not last
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Huskavarna, 765 I think. I love it, but the one thing I don't like is the decorative stitches aren't consistent in length no matter what I do.

I have a Singer embroidery - It sits in the closet. The silly thing will work fine on a trial and then when you need it to be spot on, it will work, then jump down 1/4" to 1/2" and continue with the pattern. So it sits in the closet, I'm really ready to get rid of it.

I have a little Brother Project Runway. I love it and take it to workshops and use it when my Husky is in getting cleaned. The harp is too small for any large projects.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Husqavarna Sapphire. I HATE tht bobbin sensor that tells you the bobbin is almost empty, and stops the machine ever 4 stitches til it runs completely out. Especially since its still a quarter full when its "almost empty"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a Babylock Soprano this year. Too many buttons
    that I don't understand how to use. Thread cutter cuts too short.
    Not enough space to pull thread down from needle. To lower feed dogs
    you have to find the button on the back. But it runs soooo smooth.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't reset the message, just keep sewing, it won't stop again until you stop it but you have to watch the thread yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    Husqavarna Sapphire. I HATE tht bobbin sensor that tells you the bobbin is almost empty, and stops the machine ever 4 stitches til it runs completely out. Especially since its still a quarter full when its "almost empty"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The Brother cs6000i doesn't run as smoothly as my Brother SE400 did. The automatic eye threader is not the same as the 400 either and I can rarely get it to work. The thread easily slips out of the first eye guide so you have to be really careful where you position your thread holder. But then it was half the price of the SE400 so what can I say and it's basically small annoying things :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique