Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you dislike about your sewing machine?

I have a Janome 6600 Professional, a Singer Featherweight and an old Capitol zig-zag (think Singer clone)

What I hate about all three machines it that I don't get enough time to use them. Lazy beasts don't sew unless I'm sitting with them. LOL

2. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, ncgrammie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: What do you dislike about your sewing machine?

Quote Originally Posted by SewnByBee View Post
    I have the Babylock Elizabeth.

The only thing I can think of is I can't curl up on the couch with her to sew.
    I can hand piece n the couch.
    SORRY.
    But I had just been saying this very thing.
    Yes, there is , Something I wish was better on my machine is the Lighting. I do love the FLUORESCENT LIGHTING that' brightly lights up the work area on some of the machine's . That's one thing that could be better.

The plusses outweigh the minuses.

* I made a must have list.

* Quite
    ....was very important...repetitive noise fries my nerves.
    * Auto Needle Threader ....was a must, because I'm visually impaired.
    * Portable ....to take to class to a retreat.
    * Stitch work ......3 alphabets, REALLY.
    * STRONG .......she's a tough one.

Trying to find a strong yet portable machine with these must haves wasn't easy.
    PLEASE......... forgive me, I'm still GIDDY over my little Baby Liz 💙
    Now, to get her in mmy lap, (working on it). LOL
    Last edited by SewnByBee; October 23rd, 2015 at 04:37 PM.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 8200. I love most things about it, especially the very wide throat/harp (11"). I think one negative about the machine (which would be the same for the 7700, 8900) is that the workspace is low...not sure if that makes sense or not, but you have to really get your head down low sometimes to see - for instance to replace a needle.

Otherwise, she has more bells and whistles than I will ever use!

Terri

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a old viking abt 15 years old love it except wish was quiter. Also have a melody baby lock love it however I hate that I have to reset it all the time for 1/4 inch seam..some dumb quilter..ie me sometimes to forget to set it. Then I am ripping out the seam.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Viking Ruby: My number one gripe is that there is no good 1/4" seam setting, and so I have to shift the needle to the side. I have it saved as a favorite (which is better than nothing), but then I have to remember to switch to that setting. I can't tell you how many times I've started her up, started sewing blocks, and realized I forgot to switch. There are a few 1/4" feet and none of them give you a good 1/4". I no longer use this machine for piecing.

I also hate that I can't clean it myself. I tend to use it only when I need the walking foot, special stitches, or for sewing heavier duty things, because I have other machines that I don't have to pay to have cleaned.

I cannot get a decent free motion quilting stitch from this machine with any regularity. It's sooooo finicky. I have to go just the right speed or my tension goes to hell. I would not recommend this machine to a quilter, unless you just want to use it for embroidery. For that, it's excellent and I have no complaints.

Singer Featherweight: The only complaint I have about this machine is that the tension dial interferes with visibility. I have to tilt my head a bit to the side in order to see well. It makes my neck sore after a while. If I raise it so I can see clearly, it's too high and my shoulders get sore. Still, this is by far the best $250 I ever spent. (Yes, I got an amazing deal, but I took a huge chance on Craig's List!)

Bernina 750: This is not the new model, but a 50+ year old, ugly beige machine that weighs a million pounds because it's all metal (that's both my complaint and why I like it!). This was my first machine and I still love it. I don't really use it much anymore because the Featherweight is more portable and the Ruby does more.

Juki QVP longarm: The machine is solid as a rock with a beautiful stitch and a super easy temperment. Couldn't be happier with that. The frame and electronics, however, leave a little to be desired. They are made by Grace Frame, and while they support them extremely well, it seems like everyone who has one has issues with the Grace components. And even with that, I have no regrets.
    Sheila

7. Thanks iluvbaking thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 12000 and love everything about it except the embroidery hoops. I find them hard for hooping fabric and they're quite large to store. The embroidery module is a separate unit that has to hook to the back of the machine. It's not a huge deal but it's something else to do and something else to store. The Horizon Link for embroidery for editing is awesome. This machine was a large investment.

I have a Janome 9500 sewing/embroidery machine and it's a workhorse but it doesn't have some of the features I enjoy so much on the 12000 (above).

Baby Lock Sashiko machine. It's a nice machine but it only does the one stitch that looks like hand quilting. I use it so seldom I have to relearn how to thread it and use it every time.

I have three Singer Featherweights and love them.
    Last edited by Bubby; October 23rd, 2015 at 04:41 PM.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ceiliam View Post
    I have a old viking abt 15 years old love it except wish was quiter. Also have a melody baby lock love it however I hate that I have to reset it all the time for 1/4 inch seam..some dumb quilter..ie me sometimes to forget to set it. Then I am ripping out the seam.
    My number one complaint about my newer Viking, too. And it's not possible to set it so that I can use the edge of any foot I have as a guide. I have to use the side of the feed dog opening instead. *grumble grumble*
    Sheila

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Pfaffs and I love both. A mechanical 1540. And a fancy quilt expression 4.0 . I have no complaints about either.
    Machine I hate any viking. I worked for viking for 2 years and sewed on all from the emerald right up to the Ruby and Diamond they were top at that time. Anything I sewed while there I had to come home and fix. The stitches were horrible and they were not very user friendly.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Janome Memorycraft 6600 here....love almost everything about her. She doesn't have a free arm and I find I miss that in certain situations. Other than that I have no complaints

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 janome 1600P-QCs and I love them both....no complaints

"May there always be work for your hands to do"