Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you dislike about your sewing machine?

My neighbour has a Viking. Not sure which model but it put her off quilting.

Also, when I was giving workshops I knew that when anyone fetched up with a Toyota they weren't going to have a good day out.
    Last edited by NancyR; September 27th, 2018 at 05:02 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    Deegles, have you tried changing out the bobbin holder to the made for FMQ,I believe it is the blue dot one. Check and see if it fits your machine of course. Janome now has three different bobbin holders and they do make a difference.

I have the Janome MC 15000, the only thing that annoys me is having to use leaders and followers even with the straight stitch plate in place.
    I have both the blue dot and red dot bobbin cases. I have had better luck with the blue. I finally figured out the machine likes 30 wt thread in the top and 50 wt thread in the bobbin for fmq. That is a pain to find a good selection in heavy wt thread and then to find a match in the bobbin too!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 8900 QCP. I love it, mostly. It has lots of harp space, great for fmq, except there are some visibility issues, especially when trying to see behind the needle. Another small gripe, is that I really have to move my needle over all the way to the right in order to get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance, and that affects the stitch quality. It can cause skipped stitches especially when going through thick layers. I use the automatic thread cutter all the time and never have any issues with it cutting the thread too short.

The skipped stitch problem was resolved when my honey got me a Brother 1500. It is practically the same as a Juki 2010. Great stitch quality. The needle doesn't move but it has good markings for a 1/4" seam. I like the narrow piecing feet. Occasionally when I use the auto thread cutter on this machine my needle will become unthreaded, but usually that can be resolved by giving the upper thread tension a little slack. I wish the machine came with an open-toe fmq foot, I don't love the foot that it comes with. Also, I can't figure out how to properly use the walking foot seam guide bar. If anyone has gotten that to work I would appreciate a good photo of how to install it. I find myself using my Brother most of the time these days unless I need to do a zig zag or blanket stitch.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyizzy View Post
    I have a Janome 8900 QCP. I love it, mostly. It has lots of harp space, great for fmq, except there are some visibility issues, especially when trying to see behind the needle. Another small gripe, is that I really have to move my needle over all the way to the right in order to get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance, and that affects the stitch quality. It can cause skipped stitches especially when going through thick layers. I use the automatic thread cutter all the time and never have any issues with it cutting the thread too short.

The skipped stitch problem was resolved when my honey got me a Brother 1500. It is practically the same as a Juki 2010. Great stitch quality. The needle doesn't move but it has good markings for a 1/4" seam. I like the narrow piecing feet. Occasionally when I use the auto thread cutter on this machine my needle will become unthreaded, but usually that can be resolved by giving the upper thread tension a little slack. I wish the machine came with an open-toe fmq foot, I don't love the foot that it comes with. Also, I can't figure out how to properly use the walking foot seam guide bar. If anyone has gotten that to work I would appreciate a good photo of how to install it. I find myself using my Brother most of the time these days unless I need to do a zig zag or blanket stitch.
    Have you tried elevating the front of your machine so you can see better? Maybe just an inch. Might also help shoulder pain if you are hunching your shoulders trying to see.
    Vonnie