Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to finish quilt to a specific size?

LOVE the quilt!!! Please post a picture when it is bigger. The colors and pattern look perfect for a king size quilt I am thinking of making.

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    156 people looked, and no one had anything to offer?
    Shirley, I looked and saw you gave perfect advice and couldn't add anything else.

Depending on how the counting is set up, 150 may be individual member visits or it may be total visits to a thread. During one of his visits, my son set up my computer with some sort of auto-reset. I have no idea how he did it or how to take it off. :/

I always have several sites open in my browser and my computer will update those sites. If I click on a post and then walk away, then my computer takes over and refreshes. It could make it look like I have clicked on the post 10 times when in reality I have looked at it once. He did this because I watch some eagles online was always clicking and refreshing. I can now click, look, click back to whatever I am doing. It's been great for me and my eagle watching, but I guess it could mess up website tracking. FYI, Mama and Papa eagle are getting their nest ready now for their future babies this winter/spring.

2. Thanks Maureen Anne thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you RiverMom. I do realize there is more than one way to do a thing, and bumped this back up hoping some other brave soul would offer some advice. Got a slap instead, so I won't do it again.

4. Thanks Maureen Anne thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fran View Post
    Shirley, who made you the quilt police?? Are you a moderator here?? Why is it that you are always so willing to stir the pot?? This is supposed to be a safe and comfortable place for everyone. Since you like to be snarky, why don't you find a forum of like minded folks since you do not like this forum. If you think this is rude, so be it. Someone needs to set you straight. I am getting tired of you being such a malcontent.
    Aren't you a sweet one, always looking to sling mud because it's easier than understanding intent. Untwist yer grannie panties dear.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some questions. Do you like the look of borders or prefer to keep a more modern look of no borders? Do you still have a lot of fabric to keep making more blocks? Also how do you plan to quilt it. Dense heavy FMQ will shrink your quilt size wise where simple stitch in the ditch or more open FMQ will minimize that. I got my last big quilt to what I thought would allow extra but my heavy quilting really shrank it up after it was done and more so once it was washed.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

7. Thanks Maureen Anne thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never made a quilt that large so I'm probably little help. I like to make my quilts larger than I need so it has a nice drop on all ends. I also like to allow extra for shrinkage and found that heavy quilting will shrink up the quilt, sometimes more than I expected.

If you have enough fabric, I'd make extra blocks, or consider adding borders. You might like to join the Double Slice Group. There are lots of nice pictures of your quilt pattern and you can see how different borders, or no borders, look. Good luck on your challenge. I wish I could be more help.

9. Thanks Maureen Anne thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Being relatively new, I always sketch mine on graph paper and get my block count and size, then I size the border, inner and outer if I need bigger.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I make a lot of charity quilts--lap size. I make up the interior to an approximate size and measure it. Then subtract the two measurements from my "target" size. My target size is 44 x 60. So I might subtract 38 x 50. In that case I would add a border--3 inches on both sides and 5 inches to the top and bottom. I'm not much for math but this is simple. Works for me!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I personally love borders, I think they frame the top and the more the better. I find they can really help with the shortage problem.